Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #11 
Adastra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
Interesting. I learned something new today. :D Might stock 8 of them in my dad's 28 gallon then.
Yeah, schooling fish like danios and tetras actually interact really roughly with each other if you watch them. They're constantly bossing each other around, so having more fish will help distribute the aggression, like in a sorority, so the same tetra doesn't get beat up on. When they're in smaller numbers, they feel insecure and try to find more fish to join their school for protection. With all their rough-housing, no betta would enjoy becoming an honorary tetra! In the wild they live in schools of thousands, so it's no wonder that they're stressed out when you only add 3-4. The more individuals you can manage, the better.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #12 
Ajones108

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaryonN View Post
How would i go about cleaning the tank?(i was plannong on getting a 20g long :p) would i need to take out ALL of the fish??
You would have a bacterial cycle on a tank that big so the only thing you have to do once it is fully cycled is a... partial water change every 1-2 weeks. I'm not very experienced with 20 gallon tanks, but I DO know that with the bacterial cycle in the tank and being so big, you only have to do partial water changes with a water siphon/gravel vacuum to get the fish waste out. So no, you would not have to remove your fish. But someone with a 20g tank could tell you how often to do changes. :)
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:25 PM   #13 
Adastra

Since you have to have a test kit for cycling the tank anyway, you should keep doing weekly tests. From that you should be able to easily determine how big of a change is necessary for controlling your nitrates. Your tank isn't ridiculously stocked, so you should expect to do perhaps 25%-30% changes with a gravel vac--nothing major. :)
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #14 
kaythenewbie

Buy a small-med gravel vac (they're cheap, like maybe 8 bucks) and youtube "how to use a gravel vac". That's what I did. They have great step by step videos on how to do it. Then I practiced while my aquarium's been cycling (not really practice, I added too much ammonia and had to get it out ) I got way wet the first time, but after that it wasn't too bad.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #15 
AaryonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaythenewbie View Post
Buy a small-med gravel vac (they're cheap, like maybe 8 bucks) and youtube "how to use a gravel vac". That's what I did. They have great step by step videos on how to do it. Then I practiced while my aquarium's been cycling (not really practice, I added too much ammonia and had to get it out ) I got way wet the first time, but after that it wasn't too bad.
Where did u buy pure ammonia!!
TELL MEE!!!
lol
AaryonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #16 
Alex09

You can buy ammonia at hardware stores like Ace.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #17 
kaythenewbie

You can find it at Walmart too, just make sure it's pure with no other cleaners or scents added. I found mine at All-A-Dollar.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote