Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 08:29 AM   #1 
Min

prefered tank size

I was just curious if any of you have a betta that actually prefers a smaller space? When I first got Dexter he stayed in a 2 gallon unheated bowl . I moved him into a 3 gallon heated filtered tank & he started to bite his tail. I then moved him to a divided 6 gallon his tail seemed to get worse. I noticed the other day he looks like the one side of his face had a whitish cloudiness to it . I figured its prob a bacterial thing so took him out & put him in an unheated bowl to himself. This was meant to be temp but he seems to be loving it. I'm considering leaving him in there. I had planned on getting a small heater for it either way.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #2 
BlueHaven

Hmm, he was probably just stressed out over the change, he'd get used to it after a while and like more space. But bettas do have different personalities, maybe he does like his origional home better. Or maybe something in the water was different.
You could try putting him in the new tank once he's better for a day, and see if he getts used to it (use a little aquarium salt?) and likes it. If not, then put him back to the home he likes.
Just an idea, but keeping him in the home he already likes would make him happy too. :)

Was the environment different, like the bigger tank had more water movement or sound than the smaller ones?
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #3 
Min

He was in the 3 gallon for at least a month & the divided 6 gallon for at least 5 I would think that would be plenty of time to get used to it. He just seems happier now & even looks like he has some new tail growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #4 
BlueHaven

Oh, haha okay. That is definitely enough time.
Then if he's happier in that one that is good!
That's great his tail is healing up. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #5 
vilmarisv

Divided tanks are sometimes too stressful for bettas. They are constantly in company wiith another male and this will stress them out for a time, some are never at ease with that other male next door. Even if they can't see the other male because you've placed a lot of plants and dividers they can still feel them.
If he doesn't do well with other fish, then keep him separated.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #6 
Min

Yeah I agree about the divided tank. He didn't seem happy alone either though. Guess ill just keep an eye on him to see how he does.
Posted via Mobile Device