Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 AM   #1 
Welsh

Cleaning Fish Tank

My 4 gallon has produced this algae that refuses to come off, its the speckly green stuff that not even an algae eater will touch, so I was wondering....if I keep about 30% of the water and then throughly clean the tank with water and bleach solution or just some hot water will the tank re-cycle? I was hoping to wash the gravel in some tank water too since the vaccum I have doesn't do a good job.

Thanks
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

If you use bleach it will kill the good bacteria and you will need to start the cycle over, however, you can put the filter on another tank and keep it running or at least wet and a cup of gravel and that will help jump start the cycle. I would toss all the water-it has very little nitrifying bacteria.

If the tank is glass-use a razor to remove the green spot algae instead.........
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #3 
JB5

I get that stuff to. It will come off it just requires a little elbow grease. I use an acrylic scrubber and just do one at a time. I found that the more I cleaned it the less it would come back so now its kinda minimal. I've since adjusted my lighting with the use of a paper filter and i now have a good balance so the algae growth is slowed way down but my plants are still happy.
JB5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM   #4 
Welsh

I did use a toothbrush the other day and it kinda helped so I think I may try that again but with no fish or deco in there this time. Washing my gravel, could I do that if it was using old tank water? its really quite filthy and I try my best to siphon it when I disturb it during a water change but its not enough

Thanks
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

That would help, however, you need to remember that some of that mulm in the gravel is needed, this is what supports the good bacteria and part of what helps to keep the water fish safe.

Over cleaning can be as bad as under cleaning with some things-you don't want to try and create too clean of an environment-kinda like the ecosystem....you remove too much of one thing and it can upset the balance in the system...fish don't like sterile environment nor do the good bacteria and in closed systems we have to find that fine line or balance so that everything works well together..yet we can still see in the tank, have clean/clear water to enjoy our fish/tank.

A little of that green spot algae on the back wall can sometimes benefit the tank just as a bit of mulm/waste in the gravel and the filter media
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #6 
rejohnson53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If you use bleach it will kill the good bacteria and you will need to start the cycle over, however, you can put the filter on another tank and keep it running or at least wet and a cup of gravel and that will help jump start the cycle. I would toss all the water-it has very little nitrifying bacteria.

If the tank is glass-use a razor to remove the green spot algae instead.........
The razor trick works like a charm. Try that to get rid of the algae.
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 PM   #7 
Adastra

A lot of my tanks are acrylic, so what I find works best is some of the 50 micron filter pads--they make awesome algae scrubbers and water polishers: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...fm?pcatid=4353

I don't think I would bleach the tank--try to find the cause and eliminate it and the algae will not come back. Try changing a larger percentage of water with your normal water changes to reduce nitrates, decreasing your photoperiod, and perhaps consider dosing some Seachem Excel. With that stuff I find that I have very little algae even in my high light setups.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote