Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #1 
caljar22

Adding a Betta to my tank.

Hi everybody, I just got a betta. I have kept fish for many years but never tried a betta and my knowledge of them is pretty limited so far.
I have a 36 gallon established tank with 5 high-fin tetras and 5 harlequin rasboras. heated and filtered and everybody is peaceful.

Will it be ok to add my betta to such a large tank? the surface is open and the water is not turbulent, except for a current from the filter. I can add more hiding places and plants since there arent many of those.

Please help me out. Thanks

P.S. I really want to do right by my betta. My co worker and I saved him from the drain last night at a wedding reception banquet. I hate it when people use fish for centerpieces. Thats how I got my Tetras too.
caljar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #2 
Alex09

I believe you can. I doubt there are tanks "too big" for bettas. Its not likely they will freak out, They will just establish their territory. Your tank is big and lightly stocked so even if the betta tries to be mean the other fish can safely get away so long as there are hiding spots. The fish you have in there shouldnt bother him either.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:04 PM   #3 
caljar22

Thanks, thats kind of what I suspected and I'm glad you think so too.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #4 
Alex09

Just keep a close watch on him to see if he gets along with the other fish. And during feeding time make sure he gets enough to eat. The other faster fish may beat him to the food.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #5 
Lion Mom

I can't BELIEVE they were putting the "centerpiece" fish down the drain!!! What is the MATTER with people????!!!! Grrrrr..........

Sorry - I realize that doesn't answer your question, but sheesh!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #6 
caljar22

So far hes looking pretty content in the tank. hes not intimidated by the other fish or trying to attack them. he's exploring the top area of the tank.

ill clairify a little about how he got saved. somebody put him in a water caraffe and we were pouring out the water at the end of the party. And we scooped him before he went in with the dishes. My co worker has a good eye. I'm just happy we found him.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

Oh, ok - I thought you meant the bettas were just being poured down the drain at the end of the night!!! Sorry I misunderstood & GOOD for you in taking him home!!
Old 09-20-2010, 02:24 AM   #8 
caljar22

Didn't mean to give that impression. I'd probably go on some kind of rampage if that were the case. Then my story would go more like this, "I saved the fish and bit a guy in the leg."
Old 09-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by caljar22 View Post
Didn't mean to give that impression. I'd probably go on some kind of rampage if that were the case. Then my story would go more like this, "I saved the fish and bit a guy in the leg."
Now THAT gave me a laugh!!! Heck, I bet that would even make Headline News!!!