Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2014, 09:01 AM   #1 
lvandert

Added a crested gecko to the mix

Hey guys, and gals! I know its been a super long time since I've been on but I've been busy. Summer vacation came just in time for me to start working my butt off. Well as I stated in the title we've added a crested gecko to our little family. I dont know if its a girl or boy but their name is Yoshi, because the bf and I are complete nerds :P
Attached Images

lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #2 
kjg1029

how cool ..ive always wanted some sort of geko or lizard.....but I don't care much for bugs haha...is he freindly? Or is he like oh hell naw u ain't holding me?? There so pretty!!c:...nd lol his namexD!
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:04 PM   #3 
lvandert

Right now he's still acclimating to his environment but they are not know for being bitters. They "tame the easiest" and being he's such a little guy he'll run before biting. As for food these guys aren't bug eaters. In the wild they eat fruit off the forest floor, in captivity they eat a formula type substance. Just mix the powder with water and serve! Lol
Old 07-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #4 
Islandgaliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
Hey guys, and gals! I know its been a super long time since I've been on but I've been busy. Summer vacation came just in time for me to start working my butt off. Well as I stated in the title we've added a crested gecko to our little family. I dont know if its a girl or boy but their name is Yoshi, because the bf and I are complete nerds :P
I love gekkos! We had a leopard gekko for many, many years; he escaped once when my son was cleaning his tank; found him in a closet months later; he and his tail were very skinny, but we nursed him back to health; he got sick when my son added a new one he got from a friend to the tank, we were very sad when they both passed away.
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #5 
thekinetic

It's so cute, I just got a leopard gecko myself last week! I love the name Yoshi it's very fitting. Yall aren't nerds just nostalgic, heck I named mine Elliott after the dragon from Pete's Dragon (still a fav movie of mine).
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:30 PM   #6 
Islandgaliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekinetic View Post
It's so cute, I just got a leopard gecko myself last week! I love the name Yoshi it's very fitting. Yall aren't nerds just nostalgic, heck I named mine Elliott after the dragon from Pete's Dragon (still a fav movie of mine).
I had a big gold fish named Elliot after that dragon...lol
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #7 
lvandert

OH we're nerds, but we know, love and embrace it. I could go into why but that would be a very long conversation lol
Old 07-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #8 
nel3

very nice gecko. crested geckoes can eat Dubia roaches and crickets provided they aren't too big for them to swallow though the crickets would need to be dusted with d3. I fed my gecko too many crickets too fast and he got tired of them. your gecko looks more brindle or tiger morph.

crested geckoes can eat the feeder worms but the hard calcite shells can cause impaction.

what sort of bedding are you using atm?

Last edited by nel3; 07-09-2014 at 09:12 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 PM   #9 
lvandert

I already have the calcium powder and I hope to get some small crickets this weekend. As for bedding I'm doing 2-3 inches of that coconut fiber natural soil bedding and 2 inches of peat gravel under that. It's very dry here so I'm keeping about an inch of water in the gravel to maintain humidity levels. It works beautifully too. It makes a humidity gradient through the cage; sticks about 70-80% at the bottom and 40-50% at the top.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #10 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
I already have the calcium powder and I hope to get some small crickets this weekend. As for bedding I'm doing 2-3 inches of that coconut fiber natural soil bedding and 2 inches of peat gravel under that. It's very dry here so I'm keeping about an inch of water in the gravel to maintain humidity levels. It works beautifully too. It makes a humidity gradient through the cage; sticks about 70-80% at the bottom and 40-50% at the top.
it sounds like you have a good setup for the gecko in the long tem. how big is the terrarium? sometimes you can just jump to a 20g tank for an adult and sometimes you need to start smaller. the important thing is for the gecko to smell and find the food. large KK can also work for babies if they have trouble finding the food in larger terrariums.

just one caution about coco fiber bedding for young geckoes. its a precaution to use paper towel until they're atleast 10-20g in weight. that way they might not ingest too much coco fiber and risk impaction when their digestion systems aren't large enough to let it pass. you can monitor the gecko to see if he gets any coc fiber in his mouth at this young age.

I have my gecko in a 18inch cube terrarium, roughly 25gal worth. I did look for a 20g capacity but I got a better deal with the 18inch cube terrarium. terrariums are damn expensive new or used .

I like your setup to keep the humidity. I have yet to try that gravel peat and cocoa setup.

these are a few things ive learned personally and from forums sites in the past.

Last edited by nel3; 07-10-2014 at 11:14 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote