Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2010, 07:18 PM   #1 
rejohnson53

Swim bladder disorder

I've had my double tail for a few months now, but when I first got him, I noticed he had an oblong lump on either side of his body right before the tail. I thought it was probably some genetic defect, since double tails tend to be prone to things like that. I have since identified it (I'm pretty sure) as a swollen swim bladder.

He's a bit of an awkward swimmer, but it doesn't interfere with his day-to-day life. I've read that many double tails have this problem because of their shorter bodies, but I havn't heard whether it's detrimental or life threatening, or if there is any way to cure it.

Like I said, he can get around the tank fine, he just has trouble with things like turning and sometimes tilts to one side a bit when he's resting. Does anyone have any information on swim bladder disorder for me?

Thanks guys! :D
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #2 
ashleyy

Right before the tail? Man, I was way off from where I thought the swim bladder was... lol

So the stomach is just stomach? Not stomach anndd swim bladder? Oh my, my little is super bloated then....
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #3 
rejohnson53

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

The image is a bit small, but it's what I used.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

You may be seeing what is called the caudal peduncle and a normal part of the anatomy.
In DT the caudal peduncle often can been seen better especially if the DT has a short body or if they have a often seen deformed spine.

Deformities can be seen in both your DT and ST Bettas-however, it is seen more often in the DT IME-with both the curved spine can cause poor development of the swim bladder (among other thing that can cause swim bladder issues)
With poorly developed swim bladder you can see not just swim problems but digestive problems as well
Usually they will be fine, however, a responsible breeder will cull all the deformed fry.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #5 
rejohnson53

Well, I didn't get him from a responsible breeder, so it's probably a deformed spine/swim bladder. As long as it's not going to hurt him in the long run. Thanks :)
Old 09-22-2010, 12:30 PM   #6 
Adastra

Definitely not life threatening, even fish with no swim bladder function at all can still live long happy lives if they're given special conditions such as a low water level and plenty of leaves and decor to rest on near the surface. I find that feeding also has an impact on the day to day differences in severity--feeding smaller amounts of food throughout the day instead of all at once is a great strategy and minimizing his intake of fibrous foods like daphnia and brine shrimp will avoid a sudden bloat. Nothing bloats a fish like too much brine shrimp, lol.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swim bladder, swim bladder disorder