Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #1 
Moldau

Cycling, discoloration in filter media

I just started fishless cycling my new 5 gallon tank a few days ago. When I left for the weekend, the ammonia reading was about 2.5-3.0. When I came back, it was about the same, but there is some kind of dark yellow substance in the filter media. It appears to be clogging up the filter somewhat. Does anyone know what this is? There is nothing in the tank right now as far as decorations go, not even gravel. The only things I've put in the water are Stress Coat water conditioner, Ace brand ammonia (which should be fine from what I read) and Seachem Stability (I know there are mixed reviews on whether it actually helps, but I thought it was worth a try).
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #2 
NEWBEE FISH

could be the good kind of bacteria growing... cause my filter is the same and i made a thread about it and thats what a person with more experience told me.. u wanna slight rinse that filter in the tank and that should unclog the flow of water.. if not i have no idea... hope this helps
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #3 
Moldau

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully you're right and it is the beneficial bacteria. I wasn't expecting it to show up that soon, so I wasn't sure what to think.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote