Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #1 
rejohnson53

Small Sore

I noticed today that Two-Tails has what looks like a small sore on his head, as if he is missing a scale. He probably hit his head on something whilst exploring. I'm trying to monitor the water quality, and I don't have a problem with ammonia or nitrites because my tank is so heavily planted, but for that same reason there are often small bits of plant matter or small amounts of dissolved soil floating about, but not enough to cloud the water. Might the amount of floating organic matter impede the healing process?

Should I just monitor him and wait for it to heal on its own, or should I put him in another container where I can give him fresh, clean spring water every day or so? I no longer have my old quarantine tank to put him in, so that would mean he would have to stay in a betta bowl *shudders* until he healed, and that might just stress him out more and make healing take even longer.

I'm pretty sure he hurt himself exploring. I often find him swimming through the plants, usually through the smallest and most impossible openings he can find. He also hides behind the filter on occasion, and once almost got stuck! I had to rescue him, then I had to move the filter.

I guess my main question is will this small sore heal on its own or should I intervene, and if so, how?

Thanks guys!
rejohnson53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #2 
rejohnson53

You know, now that I look at him I'm seeing some other light spots on his head, almost invisible. Might if be fungus of some kind? That would explain his rather cuddly behavior with just about everything in the tank. I could try adding some aquarium salt, but will aquarium salt affect the plants in my aquarium? (I have lemon bacopa, hornwort, water wisteria and an anubia growing.)
I could try removing him from the tank and putting him in a bowl, then treating him with BettaRevive (it's all I have, but it should work against fungus/bacteria), but I don't want to have to keep him in a little bowl for up to a week. I could also go the salt bath route...help? Any suggestions?
Old 09-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #3 
peaches3221

can u post a pic?
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #4 
rejohnson53

No, he's moving too much. All the shots are coming out too blurry to see anything.

I'll describe it as best I can. He's red, and has one bright red sore on his head with three pink spots nearby. He has wedged himself into a corner vertically and is rubbing up against the bacopa. I'm hoping it's nothing, but he's acting strangely. I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself trying to scratch.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 PM   #5 
Adastra

If he gets worse, perhaps you should try some salt baths, since that can combat fungus, topical bacterial infections and also discourage external parasites. This involves placing the fish in a 2% salt solution (14 tbsp of salt per 3 gal) for a short amount of time--this should be done multiple times a day for no more than a few minutes at a time. The duration of the bath should decrease greatly with each subsequent bath throughout the day, the first might be three minutes, the next one minute, the next 20 seconds, and the rest 10 seconds and under. Carefully monitor the fish for signs of stress and remove immediately if any signs of struggle are evident.

If you have pure methylene blue, that would probably help also, especially if external parasites are causing the itching, but you don't want to use it in a container with plants. It would be a good idea to change the water in his tank so that he has clean water to recover in if you decide to do the bath treatments.

Have you checked him for velvet with a flashlight? If he has it, you will see small gold granules in between the scales scattered across his body.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 AM   #6 
rejohnson53

I'll check him for velvet as soon as I get home and let you know. I'll start with the salt baths tonight, and do a water change. I did add some Stress Relief solution to his water last night, the kind that gives the fish an extra slime coating to help with the healing process. I'll see if that had any affect.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #7 
NEWBEE FISH

i had the same problem with my fish a couple of days ago... where it looked like he was missing a scale from the middle of his head (from him freaking out and swimming into the gravel or wall).. if your water is clean there shouldn't be a problem unless you have velvet?? which i hope isn't the problem.. my fishy's spot is already clearing up.. by that i mean his color is coming back over the spot..

Question. was the spot on your fish a pale white? that was the spots color on my fish.
If its is velvet would your fish act different than they usually are??
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #8 
rejohnson53

Okay, so I just finished giving him his first salt bath. He seemed to do okay with it. I also changed about 70% of the water. It looks clearer, but again, it'll only get so clean in a NPT. I had a scary moment when I put him back in the clean tank. He seemed to freeze up and sunk to the bottom like a rock. I scooped him up and brought him closer to the surface so he could breathe, and after a few minutes he seemed to recover. I'm watching him carefully now.

After examining him I feel its safe to say its not velvet, and he is internal parasite free. I'll monitor him and see if the pale spots go away and if the sore on his head heals. I might lay off on another salt bath for a day or 2, since this one seems to have taken alot out of him. :)
Old 09-22-2010, 06:01 PM   #9 
NEWBEE FISH

any update
NEWBEE FISH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurt