Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #1 
allikins

Show me your heavily planted tanks

Those of you with bunches of plants in with your betta, I'd love to see!
If you could also provide the names of these plants that'd be great.
allikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #2 
bloo97

Can they be fake?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #3 
allikins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
Can they be fake?
Haha, go ahead!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #4 
TharBePirates

Gyarados' 2.5 tank-

-3 lace java ferns,
-duckweed floating on the surface
-anacharis off shoots (my plants died from being frequently handled due to the ammonia spike, but the new shoots lived)
-cabomba
-1 piece of bogwood with riccia flautians (crystalwort) attached via fishing line as well as 1 anubias nana attached.

I have sand and a larger sized gravel as substrate and a piece of rose quartz in as decoration as well. I'd like to get some microsword under the nana, and I'll probably eventually just remove the gravel entirely. Gyarados loves all the plants, he's a big hider so I try to balance swimming space and natural cover. His bogwood is actually propped up on one end, so he has the ability to hide in the space under it.
Attached Images

TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #5 
allikins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TharBePirates View Post
Gyarados' 2.5 tank-

-3 lace java ferns,
-duckweed floating on the surface
-anacharis off shoots (my plants died from being frequently handled due to the ammonia spike, but the new shoots lived)
-cabomba
-1 piece of bogwood with riccia flautians (crystalwort) attached via fishing line as well as 1 anubias nana attached.

I have sand and a larger sized gravel as substrate and a piece of rose quartz in as decoration as well. I'd like to get some microsword under the nana, and I'll probably eventually just remove the gravel entirely. Gyarados loves all the plants, he's a big hider so I try to balance swimming space and natural cover. His bogwood is actually propped up on one end, so he has the ability to hide in the space under it.
I like your tank. Earlier today I was looking at the lacey java ferns and weren't sure how I feel about 'em but they don't look so bad in your tank. :] The duck weed doesn't make it hard for your betta to get to the surface?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #6 
TharBePirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikins View Post
I like your tank. Earlier today I was looking at the lacey java ferns and weren't sure how I feel about 'em but they don't look so bad in your tank. :] The duck weed doesn't make it hard for your betta to get to the surface?
Thanks! It took me awhile to warm up to my lace ferns. Where I buy most of my plants they have several varieties that grow in their tanks, and when I said java fern that's what they gave me. I do like it now though. It's very hardy and once in awhile I catch Gyarados resting on a frond.

The duckweed gets thinned out once a week (I give what I take out to a friend who has goldfish, the goldfish snack on it). It'll begin to take over, but I try to keep the surface 50% clear. Gyarados likes the duckweed as well. He's very sensitive to lights, so they help diffuse the light that enters the tank. When he swims to the surface he often ends up around a patch of the duckweed, using it as a cover. I've also heard riccia makes good floating cover, though because of it's mossy nature it takes up more space :)

Last edited by TharBePirates; 09-22-2010 at 07:26 PM.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #7 
Posaune

Well, I've only got two plants at the moment (live) and one plastic plant. I'm planning on getting more soon as I have some money for it lol. Maybe circle the log with them :) By the way, what supplies should I get for the plants? Right now all I have is a water conditioner/plant fertlizer thing for when I do water changes.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:51 PM   #8 
allikins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TharBePirates View Post
Thanks! It took me awhile to warm up to my lace ferns. Where I buy most of my plants they have several varieties that grow in their tanks, and when I said java fern that's what they gave me. I do like it now though. It's very hardy and once in awhile I catch Gyarados resting on a frond.

The duckweed gets thinned out once a week (I give what I take out to a friend who has goldfish, the goldfish snack on it). It'll begin to take over, but I try to keep the surface 50% clear. Gyarados likes the duckweed as well. He's very sensitive to lights, so they help diffuse the light that enters the tank. When he swims to the surface he often ends up around a patch of the duckweed, using it as a cover. I've also heard riccia makes good floating cover, though because of it's mossy nature it takes up more space :)
I was thinking of getting riccia and making a "lawn" out of it. xD
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #9 
allikins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post

Well, I've only got two plants at the moment (live) and one plastic plant. I'm planning on getting more soon as I have some money for it lol. Maybe circle the log with them :) By the way, what supplies should I get for the plants? Right now all I have is a water conditioner/plant fertlizer thing for when I do water changes.
I really wish I could tell you but you're doing better than me by even having the tank set up at all! xD I'm really new. This is mostly so I can get an idea of what a tank looks like with it all together.
That head, what is it/where did you get it? o.o
Old 09-22-2010, 07:53 PM   #10 
CodeRed

They have those at my Petco x3

Everyone's tanks look great! ^_^
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote