Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #1 
windfire

Question crisis of consience

hey guys so now that Vulcan has passed on im having abit of a mental battle with myself. i'd love to own a halfmoon, ever since i first saw them on this site i've been like gimme gimme gimme hehe but i cant get them easily in this country, in fact i have to import them myself, i have emailed a breeder from thailand asking about rates ect and have asked for this stunner and some sibling females, maybe like one sibling female and two other colours. anyway im still waiting for a reply.

now i was at a small pet shop at a mall the other day and there was a really nice looking red veiltail there. he was in a tank , filtered and heated but there were various types of tetra with him which would nip his fins. there were also two khuli loaches in a cold water tank with goldfish so if i do go there they will be coming home with me as well.

so now you see my problem, should i get the veiltail and forego the halfmoon, saving a life in the process? or should i get the fish i want really badly? unfortunately though i have the extra tanks i dont have any space to set them up and so i can only get one or the other. i always said that when vulcan died i'd get a halfmoon so now im in a bit of a pickle. btw i havnt been able to stop thinking of the veiltail since i saw him, a sign maybe
Attached Images

windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #2 
fleetfish

It's up to you, but I would get the VT and patch him up ... just because I wouldn't want to deal with overseas costs and such. The HM is really gorgeous, I can see what you mean! Go with your heart :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #3 
DragonFish

I say get what you love, that's my policy at least. I buy because the fish "speaks" to me, in a sense, and for no other reason. Go with your gut-instinct ;)

Though if I personally were in your position, I'd totally go for that HM because he's greeeeeeen 8D
I like the idea of buying from breeders better anyways....or at least petstores that take care of their bettas. Think about it...you may improve the life of a single fish by buying it, but another will just take its place, and it might not be as lucky....
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #4 
ForbiddenSecrets

Go with the fish your heart is attached to. For the VT does it seem like he's damaged? If he is you might want to mention that to the store even if he's not the one you end up getting. At any rate take a deep breath and find what fish will make you happier.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I say do whatever your heart tells you to do.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 PM   #6 
Rain Drop

Get the VT. You already saw him.....you know you'll be thinking about his days to come =P
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 PM   #7 
CodeRed

Go for the one you truly, truly want. If you REALLY want the HM, get him!! You'd probably be helping him out, too.
As someone else pointed out, even if you buy the VT, someone will take his place. In situations like this, it's usually better to write a letter describing what's wrong. Usually it gets fixed, and if it doesn't, you send the letter to their superiors. If you buy him, you're supporting that treatment.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #8 
Strigiformes

get a divider so you can have both
Strigiformes is offline   Reply With Quote