Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #11 
weluvbettas

Yeah the maiden head aqautics near us sell amazing half moons! . Where about in the uk are you from ? England , scotland wales?? Im from the north east of england .
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 03:55 PM   #12 
effy

:D Mine doesn't get much more than VTs, but they are perfect VTs. I'm from south east england. Mike isnt very good at making bubbles. He keeps making other ones bigger instead of making new ones! silly fish
effy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:12 PM   #13 
weluvbettas

He will get the hang of making bubble nests soon lol . Who did you get the pair of?? I got a Hm from ebay a while back and i wonder if its from the same seller?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 PM   #14 
effy

The male is from a home breeder called ermmm... dinger(some number) and the female was from a shop owner called dpfishways :) I hope he gets the hang of it! I'm planning on releasing the female tomorrow, but if it isn't big enough I may leave her in there for a second day...
Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

I have found that when spawning smaller males with larger females it can take a bit more time, it took mine near a week with some smaller males, watch the female for frustration too, sometimes the girls can get nasty with the males that can't get the job done fast enough for them....lol......If you really want fry from him I would leave them together for at least 7-10 days unless one is tearing the other up really bad or one seems stressed/panting/hiding more than normal spawning.
It is normal to have some torn/ripped finnage on either breeder, just watch for the signs....

Good luck and look forward to hearing more about your spawns
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:40 PM   #16 
effy

Thanks so much for that! If nothing had happened within 2 days of releasing her I was going to call it a failed attempt and try again with my other male. I will take your advice. I have kept Petal in a sorority tank before and there was no fin nipping so it's a good start :)
Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM   #17 
Oldfishlady

These girls can have a big personality change when it come to reproduction....lol......but, it is good that she came from a sorority or even a larger tank. I have found my girls that are housed that away tend to be better breeders and a bit more patient with males that have problems with the embrace.

One spawning I had-the female had to drop lots of unfertile eggs to reduce her girth so the male could get a good wrap on her, between her being bigger than him along with the added ripe eggs made her too big/fat
Once the male has some experience in spawning- it gets easier for him even with the big girls in my experience anyway.....
Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #18 
effy

Excellent! Hopefully when it comes to it he will know what to do.

With regards to BBS, have any of you made your own hatcherys? Is it worth doing or should I just buy one? I can get one with eggs and food for just over 10
Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

I made my own hatchery with an old clean plastic 1g peanut container that I drilled a hold in the lid for the airline tubing and airstone and they work great for me. I keep two going when I am spawning starting them 24h apart. I buy the eggs and use regular salt 3Tlbs and start the water temp off at 84-85F-I sit it in my cabinet without lights or heater and will have 90% hatch within 18-24h-100% hatch by 24-28h
I don't start my BBS until the fry are about 6-7 days old (counting day one as eggs)
I only feed newly hatched BBS with their yolk sac intact for more nutrition, once the BBS yolk sac is absorbed they have little nutrition and that can cause growth and development problems with the Betta fry...even sudden death due to starvation
Once the BBS have absorbed their yolk sac (24-32h) I supplement them with HUFA product call Silcon-but my fry don't get the supplement BBS until they are 2weeks plus in age- until then only the newly hatched BBS with yolk sac intact and other live foods

I use natural planted tanks full to the top with water for my spawning tanks and I keep lot of common snails in them for infusoria production for the first fry food and free range feeding, I also cultire green water and other live food for fry.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #20 
effy

Please tell me you mean a 100g peanut container? Wouldn't a 1g only hold like 1 peanut? lol :D