Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 AM   #1 
alphabetta4kaden

Strange white/silvery area under gills

Hi,

I've had a betta for a couple weeks. I noticed today that he has a white/silvery patch under the lower part of his gills. I never noticed that before. It doesn't appear cottony but I don't know what it is. He did eat some pellets earlier but he may have spit them up. I just tried to feed him some bloodworms and he ignored them. I gave him a couple pellets, which he ate and then spit up. He usually eats like a pig. He is still actively swimming and is otherwise acting pretty normal. But his finicky eating and white patch are a concern. So I'm not sure what to think. Does anyone know what this it? I've attached a couple before and after shots and am hoping someone can help me. If you know what this is, any advice on how to treat this is much appreciated. He is in a 1.5 gallon tank with a filter at around 75-79 degrees. I do about a 50% WC mid-week (just did one yesterday) and a 100% WC/gravel clean once a week.

I have some Maracyn but not sure if I should treat him with that yet. Please help!

Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

alphabetta4kaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:44 AM   #2 
alphabetta4kaden

I also added about a 1/4t aquarium salt in his tank. I thought he had fin rot (he had a little black spot on the edge of his back tail) so I bought it and added it in the last week and a half. It hasn't gotten worse (if that's what he had) so I did add a small amount in the last couple WC. Again, any help is much appreciated!
Old 09-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #3 
Fire Cush

my fish has some white and silver things by his gills can anyone help me
Fire Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #4 
alphabetta4kaden

When you say "things," do they look like parasites? If so, then you can check out the following link:

http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm

They don't sell Bettazing anymore, but you can try to find Clout. "You can also try "Clout", but it is not as effective for internal parasites, although works good for ich and other external pests."

I'm hoping someone can help me but I'm not sure if it's a sign of old age since I don't think it's cottony growth so I don't think (but could be wrong) that it's fungal. It's so strange that he developed this so quickly. I did add Betta Revive late last night/early this morning (like at 1am - couldn't sleep) and he did eat better this morning. Not sure what else to do!
Old 09-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #5 
Fire Cush

thank you that really helped
Fire Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #6 
Adastra

That coloration is pretty normal for bettas. There's nothing wrong with him at all except that he might be a little bloated. That patch is definitely not a sign of external parasites.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:38 PM   #7 
alphabetta4kaden

Thanks! That is really reassuring! When I got him, he was red all over and then one day, he developed this white patch and stopped eating! I thought it could be fungal but wasn't sure. Can bettas change color though? I was at the pet store today to buy some live plant bulbs and they told me that bettas can sometimes change color. Not sure if this is what happened, but it could be. But when he didn't eat too and acting funny, it got me concerned. He seems to be eating better now, although if you think he's bloated, maybe I'll skip feeding him for a day or two. I read here that feeding him a pea for constipation is not a good idea, although I did get some already just in case.

Fire Cush, I did ask about external parasites and they said you can use CopperSafe or Mardel. I was at Pet Supplies Plus since some of the other major chains don't carry real medication. I'm sure some local shops also carry meds too, if you need them. Good luck!