Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2010, 08:15 AM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I'm not really sure what halfsuns are. I'm guessing it's a HM with specific red-butterfly coloring. In terms of fin shape:

Quote:
1. Has anyone noticed a trend in Male or Female genetics carrying stronger then the other - i.e tail type?
IME if you use a rounded tail HMF you will get few perfect HM. So I highly suggest that you use at least super delta F (by HM/sdT are those with pointed edges not rounded).

Quote:
2. Would you suggest similar rayed fish for this process? I was going to look for a CT with a good amount of rays [like 4] to try to support the HM gene.
I would not suggest different tail types because it will only burden you with much more work. It would be easier to use similar tail type. Once you have a line you're satisfied with, then you can experiment.
Creating a line with one tail type is difficult enough. And mixing tail types, specially CT, will ruin HM/PK/dT genes. CT genes, although often recessive, yet is often visible on HM's (often the fins have tiny protruding rays - the seeds of CT).
If you insist on mixing, try doing it with HM x PK x DT or VT. It would be a lot of work but if you succeed, you will get better body form (PK), better fin spread (DT) and longer fins (VT). I would not suggest it though because it would be cheaper and easier to buy a high dollar pair and continue their genetics.

Quote:
3. To get a strong line going I'd have to in-source other lines to prevent massive inbreeding. Should I start with multiple pairs so when I do cross a new line in they are also showing the HS gene? If so how many?
IMO you only need 2 - 3 pairs. Selectively breed them until F3, then cross breed between them (one tail type). Or you can inbreed offspring to parent and breed the results to F1. The key to creating a solid line is extreme selection. Read more so you don't apply "what if" to your breeding.

Quote:
4. This one is just personal opinion - what color fish would you like to see this done with c:
This is too personal. So it's up to you - which colors do you like most. But as a side note, I would suggest you start with solid colors. Later you can introduce new colors/variations. IMO/IME it's easier this way - instead of trying to clean out certain color genetics.

indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #12 
Capricorn

Good luck! I'm glad that you're doing research beforehand. (:
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:31 AM   #13 
1fish2fish

Indjo... "Halfsun" is a name for a "tail type" (although I don't consider it a true tail type). It is a mixture of HM and CT where you only have a slight web reduction instead of a 50% web reduction like a true CT would.

Pretty much its a pretty name for combtails. This look could probably even be achieved without using CT at all if you just selectively bred fish with slight web reduction.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #14 
ForbiddenSecrets

The main problem is going to come in with getting a good amount of reduction without the tails kind of collapsing or looking like a mess. I've seen wonderful examples of this from some breeders though but I don't know how well this holds. Something I plan to ask and find out before embarking as well.

Thanks for the support guys and I'll be sure to do research into the best method of 'attack' before diving in I promise <3
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #15 
nochoramet

I think you're doing a great job, much better than some people who just throw their fish together and hope for the best.
I'm excited to see how it goes!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #16 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Pretty much its a pretty name for combtails. This look could probably even be achieved without using CT at all if you just selectively bred fish with slight web reduction.
Ok, thanks for the info.
I agree with 1f2f, you can get halfsuns without mixing HM with CT (HM's often carry CT markings), thus avoid numerous culling.
Either way, I suggest you use full size breeders so you are sure what the parents look like (CT/combtails rays/webbing often change as they get older). Sorry I can't give specific steps because it's been yrs since I was forced to work with CT's (no choice).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote