Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #31 
sgoheen08

Forgot to mention the main reason why I want to use jungle fungus eliminator..he has a MAJOR case of fin rot..they are raggedy, ripped, and now i can see places where it is just dissappearing..but i also want to use it for the white fungussy fuzzy stuff all over his face/gills, chin,etc--would this be ok? Any suggestions..He is improving but definately is still sick...
sgoheen08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #32 
vaygirl

He must be one heck of a fighter to go this long and be sick.

Those specks, if he still has them, sound like ich. You can google it.

If he does have ich, that fuzzy stuff might be a build up of slime coat and not a fungus. Is there any way you can get a clearer picture using a flash?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #33 
sgoheen08

Here are updated pics from this morning.
Body specs and shredded tail:

FUll body with good view of belly--seem swollen? :

Last edited by sgoheen08; 09-11-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #34 
vaygirl

I don't really see anything that looks like ich. It's so hard with a pic. He actually looks alright to me. BUT google ich images and take a look for yourself. We have to rely on a picture and description, which can be challenging. But honestly, his color looks good. He does still look a little bloated. It's possible he just has a swim bladder disorder and is prone to bloating. One of my fish (Kilo) is also prone to bloating so he gets frozen bloodworms now instead of pellets. A pellet will bloat him up right away.

The fuzz on his chin I'm just not sure about. I don't see it at all in the pic. You could try the Jungle Fungus stuff but at this point I'd worry about over-medicating him. It could be that clean water, a change in diet and less bloat might clear him up. It's your call.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:21 PM   #35 
sgoheen08

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I don't really see anything that looks like ich. It's so hard with a pic. He actually looks alright to me. BUT google ich images and take a look for yourself. We have to rely on a picture and description, which can be challenging. But honestly, his color looks good. He does still look a little bloated. It's possible he just has a swim bladder disorder and is prone to bloating. One of my fish (Kilo) is also prone to bloating so he gets frozen bloodworms now instead of pellets. A pellet will bloat him up right away.

The fuzz on his chin I'm just not sure about. I don't see it at all in the pic. You could try the Jungle Fungus stuff but at this point I'd worry about over-medicating him. It could be that clean water, a change in diet and less bloat might clear him up. It's your call.
Just an recap of everything and an update:
I feed him 2-3 bloodworms on Mondays, 2-3 tiny dried brine shrimp on Wednesdays, 2-3 blood worms on Fridays, and a tiny piece of pea on Sundays that is less than the shape of his eye. <--This schedule, however, was not always the case until I actually researched it a couple of months ago. he used to get 3-5 pellets a day and at that time my boyfirend and I would both sometimes feed him that amount on accident cuz we didnt know the other did (so it was sometimes 6-10 pellets YIKES!). I told him to STOP and that I would handle all the feeding after finding out that pellets are extremely bad for bettas, especially if you dont presoak them before feeding them and especially if you feed him too many. My betta actually, at one point, stopped eating the pellets which prompted me to completely change his eating regimen after studying bettas. He has never swam right since.
He definately does not have dropsy as he has no symptoms of that. A different person on a different forum said that my betta's belly "looks" normal and that he could possibly have permanant swim bladder problems since he remains to swim sideways. The last few days, it hasnt been too bad and actually looks like he is swimming ALOT better. I have no idea how much he poops because I have never seen it in his tank (maybe the filter sucks it up before I see it or he eats it?). I did give him an aquarisol/water mixture bath for like 15minutes one time and the next day, I came home to a VERY LONG string coming out of his anal fin area..that was the first time Id actually ever seen him poop and that was about a month or so ago.. I have had him for a year and 2.5 months altogether now but my sister had him for about a year before that..
His white fungusy stuff on his face has almost completely diminished, including the raised white dot under his eye. His coat is still a little pale and has red streaks and his fins are getting a tiny bit better but not much. His last dose of maracide was over 2 weeks ago-and that was his second treatment of it, one right after the other. He no longer has gold rusty spots on his gills or other areas but he does have salt size specs now, which actually werent there until about a week or 2 ago. I want to wait til monday to actually order the JFE and see if that helps him any...
Old 09-26-2010, 12:08 AM   #36 
sgoheen08

I am waiting for the JFE to arrive but he seems to be soo much better already..it looks like his fins may be healing but still very slowly. He also still has a slight spot where the dot under his eye was. He also has a new open type wound on his side..just came up about a few days ago and I also noticed another raised cottony spot on his other side. they are both small so I am hoping the jfe helps..if not, I will trea for ich with rid ich. here are some new pictures: