Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2014, 10:57 AM   #1 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

Mini Florescent Light Help

I currently have the Marineland LED hood system which has this LED that can sit ontop and opening in the hood.

Specs: http://prntscr.com/439cap

Now I was wondering if this light would be better to exchange it with the Coralife Mini Aqualight T-5 Dual Lamp Fixture?

Specs: http://prntscr.com/439d30

The Coralife is a bit wider but I could strap it down to the hood if it is better than my current lighting system. Would this be better for plant growing? I haven't had any issues with my current plants with the LED but a lot of people are telling me if I want different plants other than Anubias and Javafern, I need florescent lights.

Tank Specs:

20 gallon long

already have in it Pennywort (2 weeks old, growing amazingly and has some runners already), Dwarf Hairgrass (dying), Javafern on some tree thing, 4 non-aquatic plants that were said to be by Petco, Anubias on a rock, and Japanese Cress.

What I want to add:

Contortion Val, Italian Spirals Val, Marble Sword, Downoi, Red Cabomba and Micro Sword.

Last edited by BambooTikiBettaGirl84; 07-16-2014 at 11:01 AM.
BambooTikiBettaGirl84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #2 
Islandgaliam

IMO, the Coralife would be better. Do you know the Kelvin on the lights? I was recommended to use 6,500k, daylight, which I use on my Nano Tanks and it works good.

I have a 20gal long and use a Finnex Ray 2 ( ihave read good stuff on the Finnex Fugeray Plus too); this has 192 leds (the one you show above has 42). Not sure yet if leds all have the same output or if they vary.

I am pretty sure tho that Cabomba and Micro Sword need high lights, Downoi needs medium lights.
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #3 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgaliam View Post
IMO, the Coralife would be better. Do you know the Kelvin on the lights? I was recommended to use 6,500k, daylight, which I use on my Nano Tanks and it works good.

I have a 20gal long and use a Finnex Ray 2 ( ihave read good stuff on the Finnex Fugeray Plus too); this has 192 leds (the one you show above has 42). Not sure yet if leds all have the same output or if they vary.

I am pretty sure tho that Cabomba and Micro Sword need high lights, Downoi needs medium lights.
The Finnex is too big, I want to try fitting a light where the old LED sits on the hood. I have the 30x12 but I have a picture of the 20x10:

The Coralife is small and can fit in the spot where the old LED is, which I like about that one. Currently the LED I have hasn't had any problems growing any of the plants except the hairgrass.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Downoi needs CO2 so I don't recommend trying that. Stick to low-medium light plants if you can, even with higher lights, without CO2 it's just not going to grow.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #5 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Downoi needs CO2 so I don't recommend trying that. Stick to low-medium light plants if you can, even with higher lights, without CO2 it's just not going to grow.
Awe :c I really liked those lil plants. Can I use liquid stuff on them?
Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Unfortunately, Excel isn't the same as injecting CO2 into the tank so no, they likely won't survive. They're more of a sensitive plant.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 AM   #7 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

Okay I removed the Downoi from the list to buy from the seller. I think he will understand that I don't have the right stuff for it anyways.