Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #1 
Kitty Whiskers

Exclamation What I seen at Wal Mart...Pretty Sad!

The cups at my local Wal Mart are getting smaller again! In the beginning they were small drinking cup sized that held like a half cup of water, but then they went up to the size of a wider taller container that holds 2 cups of water,(I know it is 2 cups because I use those to hold my Bettas while I do a complete water change) but now I seen yesterday that they were down to a shorter version of the 2 cup size. I looks as if it may hold about a cup of water maybe. But they still don't fill it up enough like they used to in the past. They all had like an inch of water to swim in. The water was clear and clean looking but I bet the Ammonia and stuff like that was built up in the water. Poor Bettas!

At least the 2 cup ones filled up are better than the old and new ones! In one Wal Mart I seen each separate tank with one Male Betta in it with fish it gets along with like one tank had Danios and one Male Betta, the next had White Clouds and one Male Betta, etc.. (No Bettas in the Guppies or Oscars tanks etc.) and one tank that was way bigger and longer than the rest with all Female Bettas in it and they got along well together. And unlike most other Wal Mart stores, that one had no fish that were sick with ICK or dead for some reason. But that was YEARS ago. That would be way better than the cups if more did it that way.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #2 
Feral

Truly sad, and really irresponsible, even for an outfit that only sees the critters as a boost to their bottom line, BUT- I'll go you one worse

Last time I was in there, I was (natch) checking out the new arrivals and noticed an empty container. Hmm I thought, a casualty but why leave the crumby little container? Well, I got the scoop a couple minutes later...

Some JERK had decided to stage an impromptu fish fight right there on the shelf in that lousy little container so even should one decide to flee, it couldn't. Man, I was so angry, I ripped open one of their new net packages and switched one fish back to the empty bowl then threw the net on the floor. I would hope this wasn't a bored employee, and luckily, the physical damage was not yet too severe, but uggh, the trauma. If I see this kind of thing again, I'm going to make it a personal cause to see that Wallyworld never sells another Betta again, anywhere. Bad enough they get treated like a roll of toilet paper, but this is inexcuseable.
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #3 
Euphie101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post
Truly sad, and really irresponsible, even for an outfit that only sees the critters as a boost to their bottom line, BUT- I'll go you one worse

Last time I was in there, I was (natch) checking out the new arrivals and noticed an empty container. Hmm I thought, a casualty but why leave the crumby little container? Well, I got the scoop a couple minutes later...

Some JERK had decided to stage an impromptu fish fight right there on the shelf in that lousy little container so even should one decide to flee, it couldn't. Man, I was so angry, I ripped open one of their new net packages and switched one fish back to the empty bowl then threw the net on the floor. I would hope this wasn't a bored employee, and luckily, the physical damage was not yet too severe, but uggh, the trauma. If I see this kind of thing again, I'm going to make it a personal cause to see that Wallyworld never sells another Betta again, anywhere. Bad enough they get treated like a roll of toilet paper, but this is inexcuseable.
Oh my gosh. That inexscusable!! I cannot believe someone would do that!! I was telling someone about bettas, and do you knwo what they said to me? "I think it would be cool to watch fish fight" I got so mad, I gave them a whole lecture about it, and said that it's animal abuse, how dare you say that, etc. But wow. I mean, just wow. That is so horrible.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #4 
Kitty Whiskers

Oh yes I've seen two male Bettas together in one container before in Petco! Obviously someone thought it was "Fun" or "Cool" to see them fight. I had to save a lot of Bettas that way, I'd have to get the 2 Bettas separated again in single containers. I complained to the store employees that they better watch their Bettas more often in the future and told him what I keep encountering there with the males in the same cup together. They said they'd watch more carefully now. Hmmmm we'll see about that!
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #5 
dyhoward

I know exactly what you mean. Yesterday, i bought my first betta at Meijer. I really cant believe how small the sups they had them in where! Poor Ryu was in this container that might have held up to 2 cups of water, but it had barely an inch of water in it, if that! The water wasn't even clean ether. Had plenty of waste and even some rotting food in it. I'm glad i got him out of there, and Ryu is having fun exploring his new bowl that is much. much larger than his plastic prison off the shelf.
dyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #6 
SilverCaracal

It's weird how I've read so many horrid stories, but have never encountered a dirty petstore cup ever...
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:22 PM   #7 
Euphie101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCaracal View Post
It's weird how I've read so many horrid stories, but have never encountered a dirty petstore cup ever...
Really?? That's so weird...
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #8 
Duskdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral View Post

I'm glad you saved the poor fish, but throwing the opened net on the floor accomplished nothing other than giving the employee working that area another task to do that took his/her time away from the animals. It was most likely a customer that did it, anyway, considering that there are far more customers spending far more combined hours in a Wal-Mart on any given day than there are employees.

Still, I know it's horrible that there are people in the world cruel enough to do this. It happens at my workplace all the time, and we know to watch for it. We also have to watch for people sticking things in the cups through their airholes, stacking cups so that the ones on the bottom get no fresh air, opening cups to look at half a dozen bettas and then either not putting the tops back on or mixing the tops up so that they get mislabeled, etc. Occasionally some cruel jerk will just drop a betta into one of the other fishtanks with no regard for whether he can live with those tankmates or in that environment or not. Saltwater, for instance.
Duskdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:31 PM   #9 
shell85

Yeah I know when I rescued Cream from Walmart and their little cups aren't even secure. They don't have that many bettas in their fish department when I got Cream he was there with 2 other cups and they had been sitting there for weeks.. its not the most frequented section of the store. If I had the space I'd go back and adopt the other 2 instead of seeing them rot in those cold dirty cubs at the side of the store nobody looks at :(
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:42 PM   #10 
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskdog View Post
I'm glad you saved the poor fish, but throwing the opened net on the floor accomplished nothing other than giving the employee working that area another task to do that took his/her time away from the animals. It was most likely a customer that did it, anyway, considering that there are far more customers spending far more combined hours in a Wal-Mart on any given day than there are employees.

You're right of course, it was a spur of the moment act while infuriated. Still, if it prompts someone to keep a better eye on that section I'm not apologetic about it. I've got to believe they've got 'eyes in the skies' all over that place. Maybe I'll find out that I'm in trouble next time I go in there
Feral is offline   Reply With Quote