View Poll Results: do you prefer short or long tails
short finned bettas 5 13.89%
long finned bettas 18 50.00%
don't care 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2010, 01:43 AM   #11 
FuulieQ

They each have their charms! :)

The massively finned bettas are pretty in their own way. Although I have to admit I'd probably sooner buy a plakat, or a mid-finned betta, just because I don't have the experience to deal with any special care a fish like that would need.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:04 AM   #12 
ForbiddenSecrets

I like long tails for my own babies but all types have their charm. Though I think my VT disagrees. He insists on biting his down so his whole body has the same length fins.

The brat.

My HM's leave their fins alone however.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #13 
bloo97

Long Fins!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #14 
Euphie101

Long fins, but my VT insists on ruining his beautiful yellow and blue tail. I got so irritated at him that I almost asked my friend to take him, but now I realize I was over reacting. But he's still here, and I love him.
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #15 
Kitty Whiskers

I love both but I really love the long fins of a Crown Tail or the big fins of a Feather Tail.
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #16 
Adastra

I pick my fish based on personality and whether or not they "call" to me--sounds silly, but I have owned each variety over the years, and I have loved each fish for what they are. In my experience, my simple veil tails have had some of the most intelligence and most outgoing personalities, but were most vulnerable to tail biting. Crowntails I had were beautiful, especially in their movement, but over time their rays tend to break. Halfmoons are gorgeous, but tend to be less active. Plakats are very active, but don't have the same effect as the longfins when they move. I love their aggression level and chunky manly bodies, though. DBTs have kind of an odd shape in my opinion, I love the fullness of them but there's something a little off with their topline, and they seem prone to SBD problems.

Even after going over all that I still can't pick a favorite, lol.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #17 
1fish2fish

I picked long fins. If you've never seen a show quality HM in person you just can't imagine the beauty and grace these fish have. They are pretty in pictures but in real life they are just that much more gorgeous.

My ideal betta would be a male HM either Turquoise or Steel Blue, masked, with nice thick fins (which is hard to come by it seems), 180* spread (no more, no less), and that very symmetrical, almost circular shape made from the anal, caudal, and dorsal fin when the fish is flared. I like wide ventrals tipped white and colored pectoral fins. I would also want the fish to have little to no metallic (or shininess) to it.

I love all tail types but HMs just stand out above the rest to me.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #18 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
I pick my fish based on personality and whether or not they "call" to me
Lol, +1 to that. My fish are always picked in that manor. I do prefer the look of a nice, full-finned DRCT....but only just ever so slightly over others. And I'm not overly fond of DTs and fish with massive fins, just because it makes me kind of sad watching how hard they have to work to swim, and how they're so prone to tailbitting...BUT Its all about the personality in the end, if they just call out to me ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:47 PM   #19 
carpenter547
Banned

amazing how we can be called by the fish LOL :) my violet goby did that to me and so did my silver lyretail mollies. i didn't even like white mollies from the net pics of them but then i saw them in petco and said "yes... they are going in my bracktank."
haha now i got 20 ghost shrimps 1 violet goby *juevinile 7 inchish* and 3 mollies i bought 4 but one's innards proflated on the 2nd day and i had to feed him to the crawdad. 1 male 2 fems and both are preggers. man i can sit and watch that tank all day long even better than my tv :)

oh yeah ps: Bring Up My Post
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #20 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter547 View Post
haha i figgured you were a short finned vamp :) btw my vote is wild short finned bettas.
Hehe last year it was "oooh look how long those fins are" now it's "Psssh who needs long fins when you can HMs and PKs in one" XD

My ideal betta is either a long or shortfin, pure single colored with a 180* caudel. Or a pure red VT. I'm also in love with shiny bettas...gotta love them dragons!!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote