Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #1 
eggman123

Question Tank Mates

What are good tank mates for a betta? My tank is a ten gallon and dimensions are 24x10x12 (lxwxh).
eggman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Let see.... ADFs, ghost shrimp, a small school of Rasboras or other peaceful small schooling fish, a school of pygmy corys....I'm sure theres more xD LOL You have several options for a 10.

You could also divide that tank for up to two more bettas....if you ever see one or two more that you just can't risist ;) LOL
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #3 
eggman123

Ok thanks. PETCO's compatability charts are no help.
eggman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Sure thing :) Yeah...Petco doesn't know squat xD LOL, I would take ANY info from them with a grain of salt....ALYWAYS double check on the forum or do some research on google ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #5 
Adastra

You could get some ghost shrimp, but be aware that bettas are carnivorous and see shrimp as prey animals. It is inevitable that the shrimp would eventually get eaten by the betta, even larger ones. The betta will peck at them until they succumb and then rip them up--if you don't want your betta's tankmates to get eaten, I recommend pygmy cories.

Pygmy cories are the smallest species of corydoras catfish available, so you can fit more into your tank than you would if you chose a different species. This is important because a 10G doesn't give us much stocking space to work with and cories are a social schooling fish that swims in schools of hundreds to thousands of individuals in the wild. The more individuals you can fit into the tank, the happier they would be. In a 10G, you could fit 6-8 of these guys--but not all at once. Two at a time every week or so should be sufficient--you need to add them slowly because the bacterial colony in your filter is only sufficient to support your betta at the moment, if you threw all of them in at once you'd get ammonia spikes. Introducing the new fish slowly will give the bacteria colony time to grow and compensate for the new additions. Hope that helps.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #6 
TigerLily

My boyfriend and I have always had great luck with ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp with our bettas. Even though it's not uncommon for the betta to chase or hunt the shrimp, we have had bettas that completely ignored them and never, not once in their entire lifetime, went after the little guys.

As tank mates, shrimp are kind of hit and miss.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote