Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #1 
Crossroads

Talking Planting my tanks

Waiting on Thanatos' to clear up so I can see to plant it (I poured water in too rough and the laterite from before clouded up the tank.)

So far he has one huge amazon compacta sword and some sproutlets of an El Nino fern. I intend to divide up the plants in all 5 of my tanks to get them going.

I have
Telanthra Cardinalis
Dwarf Hairgrass
Several Amazon Compacta Swords
Four Amazon Swords
Water Wisteria
and a Java Fern.

I hope to get them up and running as fully planted tanks and bought some Carib Sea Flora Max Substrate simply as a test go for planting a tank. Maybe later I'll move to a DIY soil/cap tank (unless of course these do extremely well xD)

I have CO2 Booster on hand that I dose daily and I'm going to get some Flourish next paycheck.

I'm excited
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #2 
Crossroads

Two of my tanks are now "planted". All of my tanks have live plants but only two have substrate and are deemed ready to grow. Over the next week or so I will be replacing everyone's lights with either fluorescent or Growlamps.

Thanatos has
El Nino fern sprouts, Amazon compacta swords, Dwarf Hairgrass and a Telanthra Cardinalis.
Mako has multiple El Nino fern sprouts, Dwarf Hairgrass, a Water Wisteria and three Compacta Swords.

I will be planting the others over the next couple of days.

Last edited by Crossroads; 07-17-2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #3 
Islandgaliam

Your bettas will love you for the all plants! Amazon Swords are root feeders and need root tabs. Since I started using root tabs (first I used Flourish root tabs, now I use Osmocote), mine are growing like crazy!
Islandgaliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:09 PM   #4 
tankman12

You should get some crypts, awesome plants.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:27 PM   #5 
Crossroads

Flourish and root tabs are next on my list but I'm going to see how that Flora Max goes. It's supposed to have some nutrients already in the substrate, so I'm hoping that stuff will grow until I can get my hands on ferts.

I was gonna get some Crypts today actually! Wendt's Crypts but the substrate amount I needed to plant five tanks nearly ate my wallet. Oh well. I instead got the Hairgrass and Water Wisteria, as well as another Sword. They seem to do well in my tanks. Next goal once I can pick up some more hair grass for carpet is to get some snails and shrimp and then fill in the rest of my tanks :D

And I think Mako and Thanatos are having a hay day exploring. Tanks are too clouded for me to tell yet.

The only unnatural decor going in will be ricepattyfish5's betta tubes which I am going to attempt to plant Java or Anubias Flame moss on.

Last edited by Crossroads; 07-17-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:08 AM   #6 
Crossroads

Makos tank has unclouded enough to take a picture. There are a bunch of el nino fern growths in between the swords and im hoping to add some more hairgrass OR that it will spread out.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #7 
Crossroads

Got part of Vince's tank planted....need some more stuff for him. The sword I bought was supposed to have 2-4 in there. There was one. The big green one in the back.

Thanatos' is still too clouded for me to snap good pictures.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Looking good!
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #9 
Crossroads

Thanatos' tank finally cleared up!
Old 07-21-2014, 07:55 PM   #10 
Crossroads

So far so good with the tanks! The DHG doesn't seem to be yellowing out too badly and the one in Mako's tank seems to be setting out a few runners. Despite warnings of Telanthra Cardinalis being a more difficult plant to care for, it's been growing like a weed in Thanatos and Vincentius' tank. Or so it seems.

Once I get paid I'm going to start looking for some Flame and Christmas Moss as well as get some more Telanthra Cardinalis, Crypts and DHG for my other tanks.