Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #11 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

Are any of these dirt though? I'm not really wanting soil or dirt. I was hoping they were like sand or something similar.
BambooTikiBettaGirl84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #12 
Tony2632

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...BlackSand.html. or dirt with any color sand on top
Tony2632 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:32 PM   #13 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BambooTikiBettaGirl84 View Post
Okay so I just read on some of the different kinds, but still a bit confused. Eco-Complete comes in Black or Red and then there is Flourite which comes in Original, Red, Black and Black sand. What is the differences of these? Are they dirt (not really wanting dirt)? Could I mix them together to make like a mega mix?

CaribSea Instant Aquarium Freshwater Substrates - Is this even a nutrient rich substrate? Would this be a better alternative than my regular white sand I have?
Still kinda curious about these questions. Lol. If ya guys don't know that's fine too. I'm just confused and like opinions.

Edit: Are the other colors sand like the Florite black sand?
Old 07-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #14 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

I PMed ya Tony, I don't wanna spam double posting.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:37 PM   #15 
RussellTheShihTzu

I use CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand and root tabs and have inverts. It is one of the "Instant Aquarium" substrates. I include this link because someone may have asked your question and had it answered. Hope so.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=21432
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:18 PM   #16 
mpooyan83

I like Eco complete over flourite.... less messy, and dosnt turn to mud after a while.
mpooyan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:35 PM   #17 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpooyan83 View Post
I like Eco complete over flourite.... less messy, and dosnt turn to mud after a while.
What do you mean turn to mud? I read that both of these you can leave in a tank and don't need to remove it ever.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 AM   #18 
KnownSyntax

Why not just use Miracle Grow Organic Soil? I always use those in my planted tanks, and then cap it off with some pool filter sand. If you put enough of the organic soil (about 1 and 1/2 up to 3 inches) you won't really ever (at least with the plant I'm growing and have ran into) need to add in any ferts. The water color will turn yellow because of the tannins but after many water changes it'll be back to the crystal clear that you will know.

Plus if I recall (or at least at my LFS) it's WAY cheaper to do soil + pool filter sand, then to go with fluorite or another granular soil(?).
KnownSyntax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #19 
BambooTikiBettaGirl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnownSyntax View Post
Why not just use Miracle Grow Organic Soil? I always use those in my planted tanks, and then cap it off with some pool filter sand. If you put enough of the organic soil (about 1 and 1/2 up to 3 inches) you won't really ever (at least with the plant I'm growing and have ran into) need to add in any ferts. The water color will turn yellow because of the tannins but after many water changes it'll be back to the crystal clear that you will know.

Plus if I recall (or at least at my LFS) it's WAY cheaper to do soil + pool filter sand, then to go with fluorite or another granular soil(?).
Doesn't that eventually run out of the ferts and need replacing or using fert tabs/liquids? Will that be safe for shrimp and snails?
Old 07-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #20 
mpooyan83

So about the flourite, I've never actually used it myself. I've just read bad some things that made me wanna stay away. Some said it does get soft and break down. Also, apparently the preperation for flourite, before you can put it in your tank is a horrid. Eco complete you just cut open the bag and dump right in, no prepping needed. Flourite you gotta wash and scru, etc.... theres a process to it. Many people stated in reviews things like " I never wanna deal with that again".
but yea, reading that stuff made me go with eco complete and its worked out well, looks nice, no mess, plants are thriving.
mpooyan83 is offline   Reply With Quote