Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #1 
wystearya

New Betta not eating, please help.

Ok, here are the facts:

1. I got my fish (male Crowntail) on Sunday afternoon, around 2pm.

2. He, and all the other Bettas, had been kept in small cups of blue colored water.

3. He is now in a 2.5 (2 and a half) gallon tank. I did get the water treatment to remove chlorine from the water.

4. Yesterday I got a heater for his tank and a thermometer. Before heating the water was about 74 degrees, it is now a steady 78.

5. The fish seems healthy, swimming and fairly active. I can not see any white spots, fin rot, or other physical signs of sickness.

6. I have been removing uneaten food after about 15-20 minutes so as to not foul the water. Though, it was a touch cloudy this morning. I'll do a partial water change after work and probably remove the 2 seashells I have in the tank, just in case.

7. I checked the pH and it is a solid 7

8. I have tried the following foods: flakes (purchased by mistake though they are specifically for Bettas) , pellets that float (believe the name is "Betta Bites" they are tiny red pellets that do not sink, and freeze-dried blood worms. -- The fish has swam right up to the food, but has not eaten, I've not seen him eat a single bite since I got him.

--------------------

I don't know what to do, I'm worried about my fish not eating. It is Tuesday morning and I got him Sunday afternoon. I would have thought he would be eating by now...

I plan to call the pet store and ask what kind of food they had been feeding the Bettas, just in case it was something different that what I have been trying. I might also get some medication in case there is fungus, but I don't see anything other than light cloudyness to the water.

I need tips. Is there some other food to try? Something specific I need to check for?

I've had Bettas before, but I don't remember having one not eat. :/

Any help at all would be great!

Thank you,
~Wystearya
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:11 AM   #2 
wystearya

Also, I only offer a few tiny bits of food twice a day. Again, I try to remove all the uneaten food within 15-20 minutes.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like he is still adjusting to the new environment-I would make some 50% daily water changes to clear up the water and hold all food for now and in a couple of days offer the pellets only-if he refuses the food, remove it and wait another day and try again....he will be fine without food for a fairly long time
Once he starts to eat-feed small amount 2-3 times a day-try not to overfeed even though he may be begging for more..it is better to feed small frequent meals than one large meal
Some bettas can take up to two weeks before they eat for you and now that you have the water temp up- I bet he will be eating pretty soon.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #4 
wystearya

Oh, I didn't realize they could (or would) go so long without eating! That makes me feel better, thank you. :)

I'll definitely do the water change and I think remove the larger of the 2 seashells I have in there. Just in case...

So, no food offered tonight? I should wait a couple full days then?

Thank you so much, I feel better just knowing he probably is not starving.

Editing to add: I love your red Betta in your avatar. I tried taking some pics, but didn't have the right lighting. Once my poor boy is used to his new home I'll try again. I also like your plants, are they live?

Last edited by wystearya; 09-28-2010 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Adding stuff
Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Yes, all live plants-I keep the natural planted tanks with soil, potting soil, kitty litter substrate with sand caps. My avatar is a pic of one of my Betta I bred he is a DT
It can be a challenge to get good pic-I am still working on that myself...lol....

These guys can go a while without food and if he is healthy overall he will be just fine-clean warm water will help, also, if you have access to live mosquito larva they will help too. Adding a drop or two of fresh garlic juice to the pellets can help stimulate appetite as well....but I think your guy will be eating in no time.....he just needs to adjust a bit more....

Look forward to seeing some pic and hearing more about your new Betta...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #6 
BeccaBoo

I had the exact same problem with my betta not eating when I first brought him home and I was as worried as you are. But after about a week or so he started eating and now he eats his pellets as soon as they hit the water. So don't worry, he'll be gobbling his food up in no time.
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:15 PM   #7 
wystearya

I don't think any of the local pet stores carry live larvae. But, I appreciate the garlic juice tip, just in case.

I'll try to get pics when he is eating and better adjusted. ;)

---

Thanks BeccaBoo, I sure hope that he will eat soon and be just fine. I do feel better about it, that is for sure!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 
blumunki87

i had the same problem with clancey. he hadn't eaten for since last tuesday! thats a whole week. I finally tempted him with some bloodworms and a new 3 gallon tank (my mom bought him with a one gallon) complete with heater tons more space. Just give him a few days to adjust.
blumunki87 is offline   Reply With Quote