Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #1 
swoozie13579

Exclamation plz reply tank issue eurgent

when i got my betta ( 2 days ago ) she was in a tiny not even a half a gallon plastic circle. i figured ''she will be fine in my old 8in by 4 in tank''. know i worred she will die beacuse people say they need a big tank. i am new to betta so all i have is a 8in by 4 in tank, soon gonna put a plant and gravel in there i got her. is that big enof. will they die if you dont have a heater???
plz reply.
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #2 
Adastra

You should definitely get a larger tank--2 gallons is what we see as the minimum because most heaters are designed to be used in tanks of this size or larger. If you're short on money, you still have a few options. Clear plastic storage bins from walmart or target make great temporary fish tanks until you have enough money for a real one--they're safe for fish, and safe for heaters and they don't require constant cleaning. They're only about $3 for a 5 gallon bin, so anyone can afford them.

Once you have a temporary container, work on getting her a good adjustable 25watt heater. Heater pads and pre-set heaters are cheaper, but they're poor quality and may overheat the water or not heat the water enough. It's better to wait until you can get a good adjustable one rather than waste money on the cheap pre-sets.

Until you can get a larger container, you need to do 100% water changes every day or at least every other day with dechlorinator. She will quickly become poisoned by her own waste if you don't change the water very often in a container that small.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

They do need a heater, there water temp needs to stay somewhere from 76-82, but don't let it fluctuate.
You should get a bigger tank, at least 2.5-3 gallons. A filter really helps keep your water clean, but if you don't, use live plants and do 100 percent water changes a couple times a week (or more? I'm am not sure sense I use filters...) With a filter, you can do cycle the tank first before adding him, it's better that way. I already had my betta before I cycled the tank, so I am going to use Prime (water conditioner that helps slime coat and detoxifies water during cycling to keep your fish safer) every day with partial water changes.
Also, getting a small thermometer will help keep track of the temperature, make sure you use water conditioner and keep the temperatures the same when changing the water. And a light, you can get an aquarium kit that comes with a filter and light, flourescent is best because it doesn't heat your water up and you can see things better. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #4 
swoozie13579

thx for helping also there is a 10 gallon tank at walmart for like $13.00. so im saving up for that. i dont want to get to much stuff for the fish tank like conditioner light bulbs etc. i just want a simple tank with my betta in it. would she be fine if she has a 10 gallon tank, with a heater, some fake plants, and gravel at the bottom?? thx for helping
Old 09-28-2010, 03:11 PM   #5 
ForbiddenSecrets

You're going to really want to get conditioner for the water so you don't end up killing the fish from chlorine and other hard minerals.

Filter is optional [though very useful and practical for a 10 gallon ] and if your girl is in an area with light then a light bulb isn't strictly needed unless you have live plants.

There is a 5 gallon kit at walmart for like 29$ that you might want to get instead? You can't really have much in the way of tank mates in that but she would be more then happy with the space and it comes with a lid/filter/and light.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #6 
swoozie13579

[quote=ForbiddenSecrets;481399]You're going to really want to get conditioner for the water so you don't end up killing the fish from chlorine and other hard minerals. ok so all of what i said plus conditioner ex: conditioner, 10 gallon tank fake plants gravel, and filter?? it that all i will set her in a place where there is light.