Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2010, 01:33 AM   #1 
CDederick

Trying to save this sick female I got from Petco

I bought this little veiltail female from Petco today, hoping to add her to my female Betta sorority, but I notice she's not doing very well since I brought her home. She's been isolated from the main tank, and is very lethargic and just sits at the top. I got her because she's a tiny little thing with unimpressive fins and knew there probably wouldn't be anybody else interested in her. I was in Petco a week before and she was there. I feel bad for her, I'd like to make her healthy again but I'm not sure what's wrong with her in the first place. She doesn't seem to have any outer appearances of diseases or parasites. I currently have her in a small container with fresh water and some salt.
Any ideas/tips on how to hopefully make her better? Here's the best picture I could take of her, my iphone isn't very good at taking photos of fish.

CDederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:38 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Bloat...don't feed her for a few days unless she gets better. I have a female who only eats once a week because she gets it so bad.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #3 
CDederick

It could be she was overfed at the store, I noticed a few others were rather unnecessarily fat. But does bloat usually make a betta so listless? I've had bettas with bloat before and they weren't as sick as she seems.
Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #4 
DragonFish

Keep her in warm, clean water with some salt and in a dark area. She's probably got a bit of SBD goin' on...so skip a few meals, then feed her some frozen Daphnia ;)

I just brought home a guy in similar condition and thats the plan for him :) Hope she gets better soon!!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:37 PM   #5 
CDederick

Thanks, SBD is most likely the problem. She's still hugging the surface, but there were a few times she managed to sink back down to the bottom. Still waiting for her to show signs of improvement, she's breathing heavily.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Yeah, sounds like it....just give her some time. Clean, salted water at about 80 degrees should do the trick...perhaps wrap a towel around her little tank, keep it dark for her...and then its just a waiting game. Hopefully she starts showing some improvement in a couple of days... :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #7 
wolfdreamer

i hope she gets better..i have a silly ? i'm not good with accronym what does SBD stand for because your little girl sounds like the one i got from petco but mine stays more on the bottom so i have her in a small tank for now, and she wont eat.
wolfdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #8 
FuulieQ

Swim bladder disorder. It makes them unable to control where they are in the water column, they usually float oddly and have trouble swimming...

Is that right, fishy experts?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Right.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #10 
wolfdreamer

thanks
wolfdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote