Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #11 
poonah

This may be a long shot... but what are your water readings like? I had a couple dwarf gouramis (1male 1female) and found they died within a day of getting them home... i was a bit naive and eager to put fish in the tank. I bought a water tester (dont get the strips) and found my nitrate levels were off as i hadnt allowed enough time for cycling.
poonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:25 AM   #12 
wystearya

Not that I am an expert, but I have read that the "cycling" does not begin until fish are added to an aquarium. It's because before fish are added there is no ammonia in the water. Is this not true?

In any case, I have not checked for nitrates. I have no kit. I have some high quality pH strips that I know are accurate. Other than this, I have no testing supplies.

About how much does a kit cost? I hate to spend too much more money if the fish are just sick from the store/supplier.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #13 
poonah

in the UK u can get a "tablet kit" for between 10-40, mine was 12 at a LFS... if anything i'd get one for peace of mind knowing your parameters are all correct.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #14 
wystearya

True, I'll have to see if I can find a good kit. I don't even know how to use one, I've never had one.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM   #15 
poonah

its very simple... fill the vials with tank water, drop a tablet in, shake, compare the colour to the chart for ur reading :)
Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 AM   #16 
wystearya

Ah, well I can definitely do that! :)

In the mean time, I hope that my new fish will make it. I might not be able to get back to the pet store until the weekend.

I assume I'll also need to buy products to "fix" the water should my levels be off?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:21 PM   #17 
poonah

From what i know (and im not expert so dont take this as gospel) if ur water levels are off you are not fully cycled... but i know there are products that will raise and lower ur PH.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #18 
wystearya

Oh ok.

I just wonder why I am having such trouble when I never used to. :/ I highly suspect that the store is selling sick fish. :(
Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #19 
Colibri

I'm so sorry you lost him. I really know how that feels. I also lost my betta Alpha a few days after I bought him some weeks ago. It was my first betta since the one I had as a kid (Fruti was his name). I did everything I could for him to get better, and don't know what happened. He seemed healthy at the pet store. Hope your new one is fine so you can enjoy him for a very long time!
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote