Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #1 
wystearya

Bacteria Bloom - advice please.

Well, my poor fish I just got on Sunday died yesterday evening. :/ I think he must have been ill when I got him, though he had no visible signs of illness until right before he passed away.

I knew the store had a 14 day guarantee on fish, so I called to see if they had any Crowntails left. They did, so I decided to go ahead and try once more with a new fish.

---> Before bringing the new fish home, I cleaned the tank out with extremely hot water to kill anything harmful that might have been there. I now have my 2.5 gallon tank set up with water treated with Betta water conditioner, and a small heater and the temperature is a steady 78 degrees. Also the pH is a solid 7.

This morning though, I see the water is cloudy white. I looked it up and it seems to be a Bacteria Bloom. I changed 30% of the water this morning before leaving the house (for work). Topaz -my new fish- did not eat this morning, though I am trying not to worry about that at this point. He *seems* healthy, though the fish I had before did too...

I've read that a new set-up tank can have a Bacterial Bloom and that excess fish waste can cause the bloom. There is no waste in the tank though...

Is there anything I need to do? I have never had this much trouble keeping a fish alive. It's worth mentioning I've never used a heater either, though I wouldn't think that was the cause it does make me wonder.

I have no aeration, I have never used that either. Never needed to. Shouldn't 2.5 gallons with daily partial water changes be sufficient for one Betta?

I really want my new fish to live. So, if there is anything I need to do please let me know. I'd hate to think I am killing fish. :/

Though, if he does end up dying like the other fish, I plan to just get my money back and never buy any more fish from that store again (Petsmart).

Thank you all for any help. I want Topaz to have a longer life that his predecessor did. :(
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #2 
Adastra

What kind of water conditioner did you use? If you cleaned the tank thoroughly then I don't see how the bacteria could bloom to the point that it clouds your water. Some additives can cause cloudiness..

Methylene blue is a good treatment for new fish who have just come out of pet store cups--it helps them get over ammonia poisoning and prevents secondary infections and infestations. It can be hard to find, but if you can get your hands on some, it can help give your fish a better chance. It is quite gentle--many breeders use it to prevent fungus and velvet on young fry and fish eggs that haven't hatched yet.

It is normal for new fish to not want to eat during their adjustment to the new tank. Just remember to remove any uneaten food. Soaking the pellets beforehand in a bit of tank water can make them more appetizing and releases their "scent" more quickly in the water so your fish can find them quickly. Pre-soaking also helps prevent bloating.

Remember to do 100% water changes with dechlorinator every 3-4 days in this tank and he should do well.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:40 PM   #3 
wystearya

The conditioner is Top Fin brand "Betta water conditioner"

They did have him in blue colored water, they told me it was "stress coat" I believe. I didn't see any of the methylene blue, I used to find that everywhere! I'll have to try another store..

I did presoak the pellets, but he was not interested at all.

Thanks so much for your reply!
Old 09-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #4 
Adastra

Yeah, I had to order my methylene blue online here: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4822

You might be able to ask the pet store to special order it for you if you don't want to buy online, though. When you run out of betta water conditioner, I suggest purchasing Seachem Prime dechlorinator--it's concentrated, so it lasts longer than most bottles and you get the most actual product for your money. It doesn't have any of those weird ingredients like aloe vera and whatever else--I'd like to know who thought that tropical fish needed extract from a random desert plant in their water. That's just silly.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-29-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #5 
wystearya

Thank you very much for the advice!

I'll be calling another pet store to ask if they have (or can order) the methylene blue. Weird that it is so hard to find!