Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #1 
poonah

Wink Almorha Loachs?

Im having a slight issue with a growth in the number of tiny snails in my 30g tank.... currently there are a dozen neon tetras, a male betta, and a mountain shrimp in there...

there are also all these darn tiny snails! there were 2 to start with (i imagine they were with the plants i bought) now theres 20! no doubt leave it a week there will be more!

Ive heard loachs are the solution, and after doing some research 2-3 Almorha Loach (Yoyo loachs) will suffice in a 20-30g tank and will suck the snails right out of their shells! RESULT!

Will the loachs be ok with the other fish?
poonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by poonah View Post
Im having a slight issue with a growth in the number of tiny snails in my 30g tank.... currently there are a dozen neon tetras, a male betta, and a mountain shrimp in there...

there are also all these darn tiny snails! there were 2 to start with (i imagine they were with the plants i bought) now theres 20! no doubt leave it a week there will be more!

Ive heard loachs are the solution, and after doing some research 2-3 Almorha Loach (Yoyo loachs) will suffice in a 20-30g tank and will suck the snails right out of their shells! RESULT!

Will the loachs be ok with the other fish?

Yoyo Loaches are notorius for nipping fins of colorful fish, they don't just nip the fins, they literally destroy them..

Try Khulii loaches their pretty decent loaches... But prefer sandy substrate and are best kept in schools of 4-5
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #3 
poonah

Thanks for your advice :) how large will they grow?
Old 09-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #4 
Adastra

Yoyos can get to be 6" and are a social fish that should be kept in groups--this is not the ideal fish for this situation. Have you considered kuhli loaches instead? I think they are much more suited to this tank--they are smaller and don't pose any thread to your betta. Mine have eaten quite a few snails.

Dwarf chain loaches are another good option. Totally adorable, too.

Last edited by Adastra; 09-29-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #5 
poonah

aaaaaah brill! are these fish quite eay to acquire? I dont fancy a 10+ P&P charge online. Also how much am I looking to spend on each, and how many will I need? 2-3?
Old 09-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #6 
Adastra

You should be able to order them through your local fish store. Kuhlis are pretty common and not very expensive--maybe 2-3 dollars a piece. Dwarf chain loaches are harder to find and a little more expensive. It couldn't hurt to check their availability at your local pet store. Many shops will put customer requests in their special order book and get them in for you in a couple of weeks at no extra charge.

You should try to get 6-8 individuals--they are very social and do much better in groups of at least 6.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:01 AM   #7 
carpenter547
Banned

just another thought and i could be wrong but here submitted for your research and consideration.

cpo mexican neon orange crayfish i believe will eat snails eggs. may help may not.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote