Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #1 
MrVampire181

Fry: Interesting Observations

Ok so we've all seen it:

DON'T ADD WATER UNLESS IT'S THE SAME TEMPERATURE!!

DON'T POUR WATER IN THE TANK..LET IT DRIP!

CLEAN THE TANK OFTEN! FRY PRODUCE WASTE!!

Well here I am to share my observations:

1. Fry aren't that weak...if you do something wrong they will die but if you know what your doing you can do all sorts of stuff new breeders can't:
As a new breeder you should add water by siphoning it through airline tubing and make sure it's the same temp. But I don't age water...most of the time it's just new tap water from the faucet, then I either pour it or siphon it, regardless of temp.

2. Fry can actually eat bigger food than you think... they can eat BBS from the first day. But I always use live plants for infusoria. The infusoria eaters grow much slower than the ones eating BBS.

3. Hundreds of fry = a ton of waste. But think about it, how much waste could a bunch of critters the size of a pin head really produce? Some breeders don't change water that much at all. The biggest problem really is OVERFEEDING. I always put more food in my tank than necessary...but I clean very often...75%-90% everyday. At least 1/2 gallon is siphoning gunk from the bottom and the rest is just removing water. Another big thing is a stunting hormone...fry produce a ton of hormone. If enough hormone gets to be to high fry can be severly stunted. So my water changes are so big so that I can remove the hormone as well.

Well there they are. Some of my observations from 3 years of raising fry :)

TO NEW BREEDERS: DON'T ATTEMPT ANYTHING ABOVE...DON'T OVERFEED, CLEAN OFTEN, ADD WATER OF THE SAME TEMP. I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS SO I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:11 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good info! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:57 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Smaller containers/tanks must be cleaned regularly. But larger ones don't. In the past I often don't do any wc before 4 weeks.
But regardless of tank size, frequent wc will help boost growth. I found after 4 weeks that some with no wc are half the size of those with wc.

I always over feed. But I have small snails and tiny natural critters to help me with the cleanup. I believe that fry that can constantly eat when ever they're hungry will grow faster than those with a scheduled diet.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

That is what I have found too Indjo-I get better growth and development with free range feeding-since I started using the natural method I get faster growth, bigger, stronger and healthier fry....

But as MV stated-a big problem can be the stunting hormone-I try an get the big fry moved as early as 2 weeks to different tank for grow-out-I don't worry so much with the tiny fry and usually leave them in the spawning tank and if they survive the new breeders fine..if not...good nutrition for the breeders-oddly enough they usually survive and I net them out

Another problem a lot of new breeders can run into when they don't have the correct set-up or make the needed water changes-is parasite/pathogen that kill all the fry or they don't provide a good humid environment for labyrinth development and the fry develop swim problems

Good husbandry and quality nutrition are really important to get quality fry......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote