Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #1 
Dammerung2010

Penn Plax Pro-V Decorative Aquarium Waste Adsorbing Crystals?

Has anyone here tried them? Did they work well for you? With my 1.5 gal tank I figured they would be a huge help in keeping my ammonia levels low (If they work that is).
Dammerung2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung2010 View Post
Has anyone here tried them? Did they work well for you? With my 1.5 gal tank I figured they would be a huge help in keeping my ammonia levels low (If they work that is).

The best way to keep ammonia levels low is, Frequent water changes..
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #3 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
The best way to keep ammonia levels low is, Frequent water changes..
I do change the water frequently, I just mean I want to make sure the levels don't even have much of a chance to go up between changes.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #4 
Ajones108

If you want to make sure ammonia levels don't have much of a chance to go up, I recommend just cycling your tank. Granted, you have a 1.5 gallon tank, but items like this are usually sold as a scam to make money, and in the long run the money you put out for these items will be so much more than just getting the 5 gallon kit from wal-mart that runs $30 and cycle it. :S If fish keeping were that simple, it wouldn't be so much fun.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #5 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajones108 View Post
If you want to make sure ammonia levels don't have much of a chance to go up, I recommend just cycling your tank. Granted, you have a 1.5 gallon tank, but items like this are usually sold as a scam to make money, and in the long run the money you put out for these items will be so much more than just getting the 5 gallon kit from wal-mart that runs $30 and cycle it. :S If fish keeping were that simple, it wouldn't be so much fun.
Believe me, if I could I would go all out and get a 10 gallon tank, cycle it and everything. Sadly, I'm a broke college student with limited space and funds. Also, the largest tank we're supposed to have is a 1 gallon so I'm already .5 gallons over the limit :P. The rule isn't really enforced though so I plan to get an Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 in a few weeks.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammerung2010 View Post
Believe me, if I could I would go all out and get a 10 gallon tank, cycle it and everything. Sadly, I'm a broke college student with limited space and funds. Also, the largest tank we're supposed to have is a 1 gallon so I'm already .5 gallons over the limit :P. The rule isn't really enforced though so I plan to get an Aqueon Mini Bow 2.5 in a few weeks.
What's the price of the Aqueon Minibow? If I remember correctly it's about the same as the 5 gallon kit from Walmart. I have the 5 gallon kit on my dresser (college student as well) It's actually pretty small. It's 16 long x 8 deep x 10 high. It's really only the size of a laptop. =] I have it on my dresser so that when it's cycled I can see Genie from my bed! XD

They don't have the kit I have online anymore (because the same kit with the added heater costs about $12 more: better business) but any walmart with a fish section will have a 5 gallon rectangular starter kit for about $30. (light blue packaging. It'll either say Aquaculture or Tetra on it)

They also have a new 5 gallon starter kit available in limited stores but free shipping to your local store if you order online! =] It's a hexagonal bowfront and it's had rave reviews on here: hawkeye 5 gallon online All you gotta do is order it and they'll have it at your local walmart the next day for you to pick up. =]

Why pay $30 for a 2 gallon or 3 gallon when you could get a 5 gallon? =]

I advise buying a 5 gallon first, taking the empty tank out of the box and seeing if it'll fit where you want it to go. =] If it does I'd stick with that. ;] It'll give your new friend more swimming room and you can put more decor or plants in there. =]

That's just me though. ;] Do what makes you happy. =]

As for the crystals I have no idea. =/ Sounds like a scam though. =/ If they look really nice and you think they're worth it as decor then I'd try them out. If they work that'd be awesome. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #7 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
What's the price of the Aqueon Minibow? If I remember correctly it's about the same as the 5 gallon kit from Walmart. I have the 5 gallon kit on my dresser (college student as well) It's actually pretty small. It's 16 long x 8 deep x 10 high. It's really only the size of a laptop. =] I have it on my dresser so that when it's cycled I can see Genie from my bed! XD

They don't have the kit I have online anymore (because the same kit with the added heater costs about $12 more: better business) but any walmart with a fish section will have a 5 gallon rectangular starter kit for about $30. (light blue packaging. It'll either say Aquaculture or Tetra on it)

They also have a new 5 gallon starter kit available in limited stores but free shipping to your local store if you order online! =] It's a hexagonal bowfront and it's had rave reviews on here: hawkeye 5 gallon online All you gotta do is order it and they'll have it at your local walmart the next day for you to pick up. =]

Why pay $30 for a 2 gallon or 3 gallon when you could get a 5 gallon? =]

I advise buying a 5 gallon first, taking the empty tank out of the box and seeing if it'll fit where you want it to go. =] If it does I'd stick with that. ;] It'll give your new friend more swimming room and you can put more decor or plants in there. =]

That's just me though. ;] Do what makes you happy. =]

As for the crystals I have no idea. =/ Sounds like a scam though. =/ If they look really nice and you think they're worth it as decor then I'd try them out. If they work that'd be awesome. =]
Like I said, I would get a large tank like that but that rule I mentioned is in place. It isn't really enforced much but I don't want to push my luck. Also, when I say I'm space constrained I mean REALLY space constrained, I have a lot of junk XD. Besides, I like the Aqueon Mini Bow kits ^^.

Yeah, I know they sound a little too good to be true, but it won't hurt to try them out (especially since I already bought them XD). I just wanted to see if anyone else has tried them out before :P.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #8 
kaythenewbie

I don't know about the crystals, but I use Aqueon Ammonia Neutralizer in my 1.5 gal. in between water changes if I notice ammonia in the tank. It works great and my betta has been healthy and active as ever. I do 100% water change once a week on the weekend and a dose of ammonia neutralizer about halfway through the week when I notice ammonia in my tank.

Just be careful if you buy an ammonia neutralizer/remover, some people reported them being harmful to the bacteria in the tank (not a problem if you're not cycled), some don't get rid of ammonia, and a few brands made the fish sick. So research a brand before you choose. I went with Aqueon because I found no complaints about it only positive remarks. It cost me about 3 bucks at Petsmart.
kaythenewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #9 
Alex09

If you want to lower ammonia then just plop a plant in there. Its the most natural way...
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #10 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
If you want to lower ammonia then just plop a plant in there. Its the most natural way...
There is no way I'm putting a live plant in this tiny tank.