Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #1 
Yashuragi

New Betta doesn't look too good.

Housing
What size is your tank?
A small cube tank, thatís a bit bigger than an average fish bowl.

What temperature is your tank?
I donít know.

Does your tank have a filter?
No

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No

Is your tank heated?
No

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
Heís alone.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
We usually feel him the flakes that came along with his kit.
However, my teacher lost his flakes, and fed him guppy food instead.

How often do you feed your betta fish?
Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
We got him six days ago. I did his first total water change yesterday.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
All of it

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water?
No.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
He has some light-brownish spots and patches on his head and body. Some of his scales are getting darker.

His belly is getting somewhat big. My probably teacher overfed him.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Most of the time, heís been inactively floating vertically at the top of the tank, with his head always close to the surface for quick breaths.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
This morning.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
This is the first time Iíve seen him sick ever since we got him.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
We got him six days ago.
Yashuragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #2 
Adastra

An extreme nose-up position is usually not a good sign. Is there any way you can show us any pictures? Perhaps you could describe the texture and appearance of the patches more thoroughly?

For now it's important that he has clean water--you can measure the volume of the tank using measuring cups. 16 cups = 1 gallon. This will help us figure out when his water needs to be changed. To give you some idea of what you're looking at as far as maintenance, a 1 gallon tank must have a 100% water change every other day, a 2 gallon tank should have a 100% change every three to four days.

You'd think a teacher would have a basic understanding about the fact that fish constantly excrete a toxic substance called ammonia through their gills. This is kind of like their form of urine. In nature, this ammonia would be broken down by specialized bacteria into a less toxic substance, consumed by plants, and diluted over much larger quantities of water. Since none of these components are at work in your small tank, you have to compensate by doing frequent 100% water changes.

I'm guessing that the tank is quite small and that the fish is suffering from ammonia poisoning and constipation/bloating from overfeeding. If you can give us any more details on his appearance or behavior, or better yet, a clear picture, we can give you more specific advice.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:40 PM   #3 
KukaaKatchou

well I'm a teacher and I didn't have a sweet clue about fish. However, I am on here reading as much as possible about them and learning fast :)
KukaaKatchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #4 
Posaune

A teacher wouldn't necessarily know (except maybe if it was a biology teacher). Yashuragi, you may want to look up on a proper tank set up and proper food for the guy on here, they have some great threads on it :)
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #5 
Yashuragi

He's gone!

My friends and I checked up on him this afternoon during our break from classes. He was lifelessly lying at the bottom, with red sores all over his body. >_<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
A teacher wouldn't necessarily know (except maybe if it was a biology teacher). Yashuragi, you may want to look up on a proper tank set up and proper food for the guy on here, they have some great threads on it :)
My teacher is a drama instructor and coach, so he doesn't know anything about fish or any kind of animal for that matter. Which probably why he made me care for it.
The fish already showed signs of being sick when he asked me to look after it.

I don't know much about fish either, but I found this site. I read the guides, and they were really helpful!
I started doing water changes, cleaned the tank and planned to get the fish a larger tank, proper food and a heater today.
But he was a goner. I was too late.

The fish was a surprise birthday gift given to my teacher by two graduates from our school.
Now I learned that its a really bad idea to give fish as a gift to someone who doesn't know anything about them.

I'm going to miss Bene. He wasn't my fish, and I've only cared for him a short time, but I still adore him.
Yashuragi is offline   Reply With Quote