Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-30-2010, 10:20 PM   #1 
aBlondes

Talking Soo happy! come share my joy! LOL

So, I'm a new betta owner. And I got my first betta last Sunday :) He's a gorgeous red/blue CT... (I had no idea about betta's btw, & classification, etc. but this site is THE BOMB. I'm enlightened with so much info, I don't know what to do with it... scratch that, I do :) gotta put it to use in caring for my baby Leonardo. [That's his name])

ANYWHO... I'm so stoked cos my dad is giving me a 30g tank that he doesn't need... So now I can learn about keeping a sorority! :3 Because I want many betta's to fill this tank. I think it was either a 30 or 50g tank.

Only thing I'm worried about is it fitting in my room I'm in college and I rented a room close by, and it's a TAD on the tiny side. But I'll make it work! I'll make space.
aBlondes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 PM   #2 
CodeRed

Congrats, and welcome to the site, since I haven't said so before!! Ask any questions and we'll try to answer to the best of our knowledge :P And try to resist the urge, LOL. All of use failed in that regard xD Once again, WELCOME!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:03 PM   #3 
aBlondes

Thanks! :3 & lol, is it that challenging?! If so, I'll just put another lone male in there, maybe with some frogs & snails...hmmm
Old 09-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #4 
Alex09

If you do plan on doing a sorority do ALOT of research. You can just stick a bunch of females in a tank and expect everyone to get along. Females can be just as territorial and aggressive as males.

Dont mean to sound discouraging but I hear many stories of people jumping the bandwagon to make a sorority only to have it end in a disaster. If you have done your research and you feel that you are ready for the challenge then by all means go for it.

Another good setup for that tank would be to have a community tank with a male OR female (not both) betta as the 'centerpiece fish'. Would look really nice.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #5 
aBlondes

Oo, good idea. Thanks :)
Old 10-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #6 
Posaune

You could also split the tank with dividers and get more males (One in each divided part of course) :P I thought about doing that with my ten gallon, but Little Guy just loves all that space. So I'll just spoil him senseless instead :P
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 AM   #7 
carpenter547
Banned

ok not being negative or arrogant or looking down but ..

first off welcome all of us here love our bettas. secondly i am not a grammar minder or a spelling freak but as i read and reread your post you refered to your betta being a him and adding another lone male.

this should go with out saying but as it stands right now there is no way to keep more than one male betta in a tank. i am sure it was just typo's but if not there it is.

secondly if you are going to do a sorority *all females* you need to really read up on how to do it and keep in mind that as stated above they are capable of fighting just the same as the boys are.

very very well wishing and offerning to help in any way possible *as long as it doesn't involve money or girl firends :)* to you may your first time be as wonderful as it can be.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #8 
nochoramet

I'm pretty sure they meant they'll just put a lone male in the 30g, and have Leonardo in his tank as well.
Anyways, Welcome to the forum!! Bettas are fun and ADDICTING! And if you do plan on having a sorority make sure to do plenty of research! I think the community tank with a betta centerpiece sounds like a great idea if you don't think you're ready for a sorority, but that's up to how much you work you want to put in it! Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:14 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Sororities are great fun, but don't always work out, so have a back up plan unless your girls don't get along.

I would personally put Leonardo in the 30g and then have a small community of fish with him. Cory cats, snails, African dwarf frogs etc.

Good luck and welcome. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

I like the male as the centerpiece community idea! Especially with a 30 gallon! Is it long or tall? Cory cats are a great community fish! =]

Or you could divide your tank in half and have just 2 male bettas and some snails and shrimp. =] That'd be nice too! =]

Do what makes you happy though! =] I can't wait to see what you do with your tank! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote