Betta Fish Forum banner

Few questions...

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Lion Mom 
#1 ·
Welcome to Fishforum.

Lid-Not needed, but it helps. It keeps some warmth in, and makes sure they dont jump out.

Don't keep the light on at night. Fish need light and dark periods like humans.

You need a heater. Bettas like temperature of 76 degrees and higher. He will freeze. Yes, a few degrees means a ton to a fish.
A good link for a small heater: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+12087&pcatid=12087

I would highly suggest upgrading to a larger tank.

#2 ·
I'm a new betta owner, and since I don't know too much about betta fish, I went online and did a little research. Since I got most of the basics down pat, I thought it was time to get myself one.

But there's still some things that I've read, and am not too sure about.

I have a small bowl to hold Sushi (my betta, obviously.) According to the box it came in, it holds around 2.5 liters of water. He seems to like it, but I'm wondering if it'll be too small, or if he'll jump out. I read somewhere that you should put something on top of the bowl and poke holes in it for a makeshift cover. Is this really necessary?

Do I have to keep a light on all night? Since the bowl doesn't have a heater, will I have to keep the light on as an alternative? I won't do it during the day unless it's ridiculously cold, because my room's pretty warm. (I live in Pennsylvania, so heat might be a problem for me.) At night, during the winter, it's around... 70 degrees. With a light on, the tank water is probably around 75 or higher. Probably higher, but definitely not aroun 80. Betta fish obviously have their own temperature zone, and from what I've heard, keeping Sushi in a 76-80 degree temperature should be fine. But would a couple degrees really make that much of a difference for a fish?

I'd get an actual tank that would at least hold 2.5 gallons of water, but I had to pay for everything, and I'm pretty much broke now.

#3 ·
I agree, it's definitely worth getting a heater for the fish. They can live in 76 degrees but they prefer closer to 80. Warmer water means a healthier fish- one that doesn't get sick as often and is generally more interesting and interactive. Also, I'd make sure you change the water a lot, maybe 50% every other day (with water treated to remove the chlorine), as you don't have a filter.

#4 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I begged my brother to lend me some money, so I got a heater.

There is one thing I'm concerned about, though. Ever since I got the heater (yesterday), Sushi's color has been changing. It was a pinkish-orange when I got him, and now it's more vibrant, and there is a pale bluish-purple-green in the middle of his sides. What does this sudden color change mean?

#8 ·
Re: AW MAN!

fishygal852 said:
I have a little fish bowl and Tiki (my fish) doesnt seem to mind and the temp is 69 degrees farenhieght is that to bad he is blue and purple and red and orange and a little yellow so am I doing okay?
That's really too low I'm afraid. Like was mentioned, a temperature of 76 minimum is required for a healthy fidh long term. Anything lower will make the fish likely to suffer from disease, become lethergic, and shorten their lives.

I would seriously consider upgrading the bowl to a 5g tank minimum for extra swimming space, and to make it easier to maintain and keep stable. In that size of tank it's much easier to find filters and heaters that will fit also.

#10 ·
OK, well um... I can change the temp so I have done that I just need the money for a um.. 5 gallon tank sooo I guess I could get it if I have to.... :oops: :?
if you don't have money for the proper supplies, don't get the pet. that is my thinking...

check second hand stores. :) the pet store here wanted almost $100 for a 10 gallon starter kit with everything in it. which I found ridiculous and refused to pay. I went to Value Village and got a ten gallon for $20 and a bag of gravel and decorative rocks from valuevillage for $3.99. then i bought the rest of the supplies at the pet store. it really isn't that expensive for one betta...I don't even have a job and I could afford it.

#12 ·
sorry. When I made my "questions" thread it came up with a list of 'similar threads' and this was one so I clicked on it, didn't check the date...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.