Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #1 
shell85

does my betta need dentures?

lol but really I can't get him to hold food down. When I feed him he would eat and spit half of it out sometimes he would put it back into his mouth just to spit it out again and most of the time he just lets it sink. I tried giving him a blood worm just now and he would chew it and spit it out just to chew on it again and spit it out it seems like he's having problems chewing? I do soak all his food so its soft when it gets to him what can I do to get him to eat?
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:54 PM   #2 
ashleyy

Lol my betta did that when he was going through his not eating phase. Have you tried taking a pellet and crushing them up into a dust? Thats how I got mines to eat.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #3 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell85 View Post
lol but really I can't get him to hold food down. When I feed him he would eat and spit half of it out sometimes he would put it back into his mouth just to spit it out again and most of the time he just lets it sink. I tried giving him a blood worm just now and he would chew it and spit it out just to chew on it again and spit it out it seems like he's having problems chewing? I do soak all his food so its soft when it gets to him what can I do to get him to eat?

How long have you had him?

Try cutting to bloodworm into smaller pieces that will aid him..

Try pre-soaking food in Pure garlic juice, That stimulates the apatite and is a natural anti-parasite thingy
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #4 
KandiiPanda

My betta did the same thing last winter, I would recommend checking the water temperature. I remember reading that bettas can't digest food if the water is too cold, so that may be your problem.

If not, try what the others have said and be sure to crush/cut the food up before feeding; most "betta" pellets are actually too large for a betta's mouth
KandiiPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #5 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by KandiiPanda View Post
My betta did the same thing last winter, I would recommend checking the water temperature. I remember reading that bettas can't digest food if the water is too cold, so that may be your problem.

If not, try what the others have said and be sure to crush/cut the food up before feeding; most "betta" pellets are actually too large for a betta's mouth

I use the SAYURI Brand of Betta food ,and these pellets are really small, My guy when their soaked has no trouble what so ever in Eating these.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #6 
shell85

Ok I tried breaking it into tinier pieces but I'm still having moderate success. I gave the tiny pieces to him and he's still spitting it out I then gave him a regular sized one and I think its the only one he swallowed. I do notice it takes him a bit longer to chew than Neptune I don't know whats up.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:12 PM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell85 View Post
Ok I tried breaking it into tinier pieces but I'm still having moderate success. I gave the tiny pieces to him and he's still spitting it out I then gave him a regular sized one and I think its the only one he swallowed. I do notice it takes him a bit longer to chew than Neptune I don't know whats up.
Try soaking them for a bit longer before feeding.. They might be too hard for him