Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #11 
Adastra

You can use the reverse osmosis water that your fish store sells, that would be great. Usually the store will sell you a 5 gallon container for $5, and then to fill that container is only about $1--a better deal than the bottled betta water. Keep in mind though that reverse osmosis water is too pure to support fish, so you must add a buffering/remineralizing product to it like Seachem's Equilibrium or Kent's RO Right. You can also mix the RO water with dechlorinated tap water to remineralize it, but keep in mind that you must keep the mixture consistent, because if the mixture is different every time you change your fish's water, he'll become stressed out.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #12 
callistra

The pet store has RO water that they add a buffer to and aquarium salt. I'm probably going to test it anyway but sounds like it should be good.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #13 
Ajones108

What is the pH of your water that you claim is too high?
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 PM   #14 
callistra

About 8.4
Old 09-28-2010, 09:54 PM   #15 
callistra

Do I really need to use all 25 feet of airline tubing or can i cut it shorter?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #16 
callistra

Well I ended up treating with Tetracycline to be sure and I'm glad I did because it's really made a big difference with his fins. They are unclumping and growing longer, with the ends being either a pale blue or white I've never seen before. then again I've never seen his fins this long before. Thing is the package says it's a 4 day treatment. This was the fourth and final dosage, and while the improvement is quite obvious, he's also obviously not at 100%.. some fins are still clumped and others are still in the regrowth process.

So my question is, do I go another 4 day round or is he fine and the healing will just take longer? The box does say a second round may be necessary.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #17 
Ajones108

My pH stays about 8.2 and my bettas are both fine, even my wal-mart rescue with tattered fins. They'll adapt to the 8.4 so I wouldn't mess with your pH.

You can cut the tubing shorter.

If you're seeing signs of healing.. Hmm. I'm not sure how to answer that one. I would say give him a break from meds and just keep him on clean water, but if they start to deteriorate again, back on the meds.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote