Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #1 
Lunatatice

Exclamation Zebra Danio breeding?

I have zebra danios that I think are ready to breed. Is there anyone out there that knows what I should do?
Lunatatice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I spawn danio in a 10g with a couple of layer of marbles topped with some java moss on the floor-they will eat the eggs as fast as they scatter them-I use 2 males to 1 female-water temp in the 80-83F range-they usually spawn at first light and need to be remove within a couple of hours
You can also use a spawning mop or mass amounts of java moss-but I found that the marble work better to keep the breeders from eating the eggs
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:00 PM   #3 
Lunatatice

I have two males and one female in a 40g. The female is loaded with eggs, and the males have a yellowish color meaning they are ready. I've been feeding them frozen bloodworms for almost a week. Should I take them out and put them in my 5 gal with some gravel (to keep them from eating the eggs) and plants now? How high should my water level be?
Old 10-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

I use full tank of water, not sure 5g will be big enough but you could try, make you a spawning mop out of yarn or use some java moss-drop them in tonight and turn out the light and first thing in the AM watch for them to spawn....you can also use something like the needle point mats used for divider and lay over the top of the substrate....your goal is to keep the eggs away for the breeders long enough for them to spawn and because they are so fast...zippy.....they can eat the eggs faster than lightning....lol....anything will work.....good luck....
Old 10-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #5 
Lunatatice

...thanks! I'll try my best and let you know how it goes!
Old 10-02-2010, 10:59 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Great.....keep us up-dated....they are fun and easy to spawn...the hard part is keeping them from the eggs.....lol.....