Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #1 
luv2run21

Red face list of things I need

Im getting my first betta soon and i was wondering if anyone had a full list of things i should get
luv2run21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #2 
TeenyTinyTofu

Aquarium, 2.5 gallons or larger, 5 gallons is ideal.
Water conditioner/chlorine remover
Filter (unless you plan to do frequent water changes)
A heater
Doecorations of your choosing
Thermometer
Betta food pellets

That's pretty much the basics to get you started.
TeenyTinyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #3 
luv2run21

thanks,
ps- taco and joppa are beautiful, the all are beautiful but those are my favs
Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #4 
swoozie13579

aquarium, mabie 1 or 2 gallon, you dont have to have a filter, but it might be easyer to keep the tank clean if you do, betta food (of corse) , you dont have to have a heater, just make sure you put the aquarium some where where there is light in the house, and make sure its not a drafty area. stick your hand in the cage mabie 1 every two days to make sure its not to cold, but to make it eaiser you could just get a heater. i would say you should put in some mabie real plants or plastic, ( decorations) but its your choice.
thats but all. hope u have fun with your new betta
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #5 
luv2run21

i dont know if i should get real plants or fake plants because real plants create algae and fake plants have no nutritional value whatsoever but they don't create algae, which do you think?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 AM   #6 
swoozie13579

i thank its your choice. i got my betta a plastic plant.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #7 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2run21 View Post
i dont know if i should get real plants or fake plants because real plants create algae and fake plants have no nutritional value whatsoever but they don't create algae, which do you think?
Real plants help with ammonia in the water in between water changes. Nutritional value doesn't matter as the betta's really don't eat the real plants. Fake plants are used by a lot of people, and many prefer silk over plastic to prevent ripped or torn fins from the sharp edges of plastic plants.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #8 
TeenyTinyTofu

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoozie13579 View Post
aquarium, mabie 1 or 2 gallon, you dont have to have a filter, but it might be easyer to keep the tank clean if you do, betta food (of corse) , you dont have to have a heater, just make sure you put the aquarium some where where there is light in the house, and make sure its not a drafty area. stick your hand in the cage mabie 1 every two days to make sure its not to cold, but to make it eaiser you could just get a heater. i would say you should put in some mabie real plants or plastic, ( decorations) but its your choice.
thats but all. hope u have fun with your new betta
This is really, really incorrect. 1 gallon is entirely too small, and a 2 to 2.5 gallon should be the minimum for the betta to be housed in. And frequent water changes are a must in a tank that small. You DO have to have a heater, and in such a small aquarium, the flucuation in water temperature will be quicker and more drastic than in a larger aquarium with a larger amount of water. Room temperature flucuations will have a quick impact. A heater will help keep the water temperature stable and warm at all times. Putting the aquarium somewhere in the house where there is light, will do more harm than good because of the drastic temperature ups and downs.

Also, do not stick your hand in the betta's tank to check the temperature, this is a poor way of measuring temperature. Invest in a thermometer for the aquarium so that you can keep an eye on the proper temperature readings.

To the OP, I suggest the 5 gallon aquarium kit at Walmart. It's a 5 gallon glass aquarium, and comes with the filter, filter catridge, light and hood, for only $30. The only thing you'll need to buy is a heater and decorations of your choice.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #9 
swoozie13579

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoozie13579 View Post
i thank its your choice. i got my betta a plastic plant.
my mastake i got silk not plastic.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #10 
swoozie13579

i have had a betta before and doing all of that stuff was fine for me. i have had many and that is how i took care of them. that is how i would take care of them.