Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #1 
manami

Tested water today and Nitrite and Nitrate changed

Good day all!

For the past few days I noticed the Ammonia lowering (or rising?) at 0.25ppm. I wasn't testing the other drops before because they were always in 0ppm and PH 7.6.

But now I tested the water and the PH is still 7.6 and the Ammonia looks like is still at 0ppm, but the nitrite and nitrate changed!

The Nitrite is at 0.50ppm and the Nitrate is at 5.0ppm. My last water change was last wednesday or thursday and I did a 50% water change (I keep forgetting making notes on my calendar).

I'm using API Quick Start and API Stress Coat+ and once a week I use API Leaf Zone for my plants.

Could it be because my filter is not cleaning the water enough because of the plastic baffle? I bought a new filter, but I haven't used it yet.

What should I do? Should I do a 50% water change?

Please help me and thanks!
manami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 09:20 PM   #2 
RadiantStarr

I don't know much so I can't help you but I'd say keep up the water changes until nitrites are at 0 again. You definitely should not replace the filter until it's completely torn apart and tattered. The reason being that most of the bacteria that fix ammonia and nitrites live in your filter. Get rid of your filter and you'll have to cycle your tank again. You posted this a few days ago so how are things now?
RadiantStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 05:57 AM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Do 50% wc's until the nitrite is below 0.59ppm. Same for ammonia.

Use a half-dose of Stresscoat every other day to detoxify any ammonia and to help with nitrite. Don't worry about nitrate.

You're tank sounds like it's well on its way to being cycled.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #4 
manami

RadiantStarr: So far the water test showed that the nitrate and nitrite slightly lowered and the ammonia lowered. Sometimes I get confused with the color it shows. I want it to looks exactly like the color it's supposed to be! Today I didn't do a water change (really tired) but tomorrow I'll do a 50% water change. Since it's a 5.5 gallon I still don't feel secure removing only 25% every few days. I'm doing 50% water changes at least 3 times a day. Is that enough? I have lots of live plants and still have room for two more...and I'm looking for a floating plant!

Hallyx: Can I use a half dose of StressCoat the days I don't do water changes? I don't want to over dose the treatment and sick my betta and nerite snail. So far my betta looks very happy energetic and he is always opening his fins and swims a lot. The only thing that worried me is that he apparently injured himself somewhere in the tank above his head. He has a small size grey spot above his head. He doesn't seem to have ich. He doesn't look like he lost his colors and he is eating. The only thing I have that could have been the cause of his injury (it could be anything in there) is either 1 single cherry blossom fake plant or a 1 small bridge. Is there something I should do about his injury? Was it really an injury from an ornament? or is he sick or something? Sorry for so many questions. I'm doing the best I can to keep my fish happy and healthy.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:05 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

His head injury: Sounds liike he hit his head and knocked off a scale. It happens. They grow back. Treatment: keep the water clean.

Did you mean to type three 50% water changes per day? Three per week is more than you need.

You have a test kit and kow how to use it, so.... Do a 50% water change whenever ammonia or nitrite rise above 0.50ppm, or once per week, whichever comes first. That's all there is to it.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #6 
manami

Hallyx: Oops, sorry. I meant 50% water changes three times a week.

I just removed two gallons of water an hour ago. I'll wait a little while to check the water cycle.

How do I know when will the water get cycled? and once it's done, will I only need to change 25% of water once a week? or 50% once a week?
Old 08-03-2014, 04:09 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The tank is cycled when ammonia and nitrite read 0.0ppm and nitrate shows a slight increase every week.

My 5g tanks get a 50% wc every week (or so). That seems conservative and is most often recommended. Besides reducing nitrate, a weekly wc also removes dissolved waste and replaces electrolytes and minerals used up by the livestock and plants.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:35 PM   #8 
manami

Tested water today:

PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0 ppm

Does this mean that my tank is now cycled and only need to do less water changes? (like 50% wc once or twice weekly?)