Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2014, 05:54 AM   #11 
Pandanke

Bacterial bloom is a common occurrence in most starter aquariums, it typically clears up within a week. It looks "foggy" and kind of grayish. Once your beneficial bacteria establishes itself, it will quickly clear. You usually wake up one day and it is gone.

As for filters, the one you have can probably work if you baffle it properly, but if you find not you can get the Azoo Palm/Mignon filter on Amazon for about 20$. It's a great filter, but you'll want some different sponges and filter media for the long run, but the black one included is great for sticking out the exit for baffling.

As for your plants, the best bet is you get some Flourite or Eco Complete for substrate, but barring that I have grown swords in large gravel like you have with strong proper lighting, good aeration, and suitable fertilising via DIY Root tabs (Osmocote+ pellets in gel capsules) - easy to make yourself. One per 6 inches lasts 6 months or more. Be aware, you'll need to keep on top of water testing when you put these in for the first week incase anything spikes, be on hand with Prime.

You will definitely have to take them out from the sponges and spread their roots well when planting. It looks like you may have a couple plantlets of each, in which case you can have them in multiple spots. They are great, my bettas and bottom dwellers love hiding in them, and my snails love to perch on the leaves.

Another plant I've found to grow wonderfully in these conditions is Hygrophila, both Compacta and the Wisteria varieties. I have grown Bacopa Cardinalis, Anubias Nana, and floaters with similar situations with slightly less rapid growth. Oh, and Ambulia grows well, too.

Unless I am wrong, the right one is Java Ferns - they can just be tied to your rock display if you'd like. Sometimes I find they don't do as well 'planted' proper, just tied to things.

Plants are awesome and all of my bettas LOVE frolicking in them, so much better & they'll help remove nitrates from your water in the long run.

Good luck :)
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:42 AM   #12 
VivianKJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBoo View Post
So sorry to hijack but I just had a quick question. I know you guys are saying its normal for a new tank to have a cloudy phase, but what about a smelly phase? My tank (3gal filtered,heated) smells so strange! Like gross even. Although, I went to do a 50% water change and got a mouthful of water when trying to get my suction going and it didn't even leave a taste in my mouth! nothing!
you need to start a new thread if you have your own question that needs answered.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #13 
BaileyBoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianKJean View Post
you need to start a new thread if you have your own question that needs answered.

You do realize that in the time and energy it took you to harass me, you could have just answered the question right?

Question was relevant to the subject matter, get over yourself.
BaileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #14 
tankman12

Yo, relax, both of you.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #15 
VivianKJean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBoo View Post
You do realize that in the time and energy it took you to harass me, you could have just answered the question right?

Question was relevant to the subject matter, get over yourself.
I am not harassing you, I am explaining to you how this forum works.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:51 PM   #16 
tankman12

Take this to private messages, please.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #17 
BaileyBoo

Taken from the forum rules:

2) Let the moderators do the moderating
Do not comment on the inappropriateness of another member's post. If you think a member's post is against the rules or otherwise inappropriate, please report it to a moderator.

Further, please do not attempt to address issues with other members' behavior yourself. Members are very unlikely to change their behavior because of anything another member says to them, and attempts to confront other members typically only exacerbate an issue. Please leave it to the moderators to address other members' behavior. Because moderators have the ability to restrict members' access to the site, moderators can often get through to a member when other members can't. Please feel free to pm a moderator for help at any time.

6) Keep threads on topic.
Please keep the original poster's purpose for starting a thread in mind when posting in it. While it is natural for the topic of conversation to stray somewhat as threads evolve, please do not make posts that effectively steer a thread in a new and unrelated direction. Instead, please feel free to start a new thread where you can discuss the different topic. Creating new threads, or posts within existing threads, that are blatantly off-topic or serve no legitimate purpose ("spam") is prohibited. Spam Threads/Posts that can be removed without disrupting a thread discussion will be deleted.

Thanks for the tips on how the forum works, but I think you should be the one reading the rules.
BaileyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #18 
NateD

THank you all for the help! my plants slowly died off so im getting new ones :( I'm also ordering some of the DIY root tabs as Panda suggested and an air pump just for extra oxygen for the plants. I just got a heater for my tank also and left it at around 80 f.
NateD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #19 
NateD

What would you guys suggest for algae control? what tank mates that eat algae that is safe with bettas?
NateD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #20 
nevandavismom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman12 View Post
WELCOME!!!!!!!!

First off take those plants out of those pots. For the filter, a tetra whisper 3i (that is the name i think), are very good for small tanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
I read that the tetra whisper filters are notorious for catching and ripping betta fins. Anybody have any experience with this or heard of this?
nevandavismom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3 gal, cloudy, filter, filters, water