Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2014, 06:38 PM   #1 
KeshiaB

First time re-scape, any tips?

Next weekend I want to re-scape my fish tank. I've never done this before, other than adding a few new plants...

My current setup is:
Tank Size: 30 Litre (8 gallon)
Heating: 50W Marina submersible heater
Filter: Hagen Elite Hush 20
Substrate: White gravel
Plants; Hygrophila, Bacopa, Lace Fern; two Crypts; and a piece of driftwood covered in Java Moss
Lighting: Basic desk lamp with 1x 6500 K CFL
Lighting Duration: 10 hours daily
Residents: Blue male VT Betta, several red cherry shrimp (I think around 20, they keep breeding!) and what I think are ramshorn snails at an unknown amount (they were hitchhikers on my last plant)
Products Used: Seachem Prime, Flourish fertilizer, API Master Freshwater test kit
Maintenance: Once weekly water change (40-50%), dosed with Prime and Flourish on water change.

So my plan is to get rid of the Hygrophila and Bacopa as these plants aren't doing too well and looking scragly. In their place I would like to add some sort of stone decoration that my fish can swim through, I quite like the look of a Pagoda but I need to find a safe one first... or I'm thinking of stacking the driftwood on some rocks and making a type of cave. For my plants I'll go back to basics and stick with my Lace Fern, Crypts and Java Moss, maybe just move the plants around or separate some of them.

So anyway, as I've never attempted this before does anyone have tips on the best way to go about re-scaping? Also any basic tips on how to get my aquarium looking good (e.g. plant placement, ornaments etc.)?

Here's a pic of my current setup (except now the wood is covered in Java Moss and the Hygro and Bacopa are lacking leaves!):

Name:  IMG_20140108_195056.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  52.8 KB
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #2 
KeshiaB

Another idea I had was standing the current piece of driftwood I had upright, and surrounding it with larger rocks (with some gaps so that my shrimp still have somewhere to hide) then somehow coaxing the moss to create a tree like structure. Would this be possible? If I did this I'm not sure how my Lace Fern would fit into the aquascape...
Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #3 
Tony2632

You know trimming your stem plants and replanting the cut part could make the plant more bushy. Planting the longer stems from back to front. Kind of like a cascade effect. I don't why but, some people are scared when cutting their plants, even the roots for replanting. All it does is promote new growth.
Tony2632 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:05 PM   #4 
KeshiaB

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I'm just not having any luck with my stem plants, the ones I have trimmed aren't regrowing and the cuttings I've replanted are remaining stunted. Is rather just stick with the hardy plants like Lace Fern and Moss. My Crypts also do quite well so I want to keep these. I'm afraid the Hygro and Bacopa are simply passed saving...
Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #5 
aselvarial

Try floating your cuttings for a week or so. Have you tried that? I float all of mine first until they get good roots going. Seems to help when they get planted in the soil. I like the idea of a "moss tree". I may have to try that out as well.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #6 
KeshiaB

I haven't thought to try that... Thanks I'll give it a go! Yeah now that I think about it I really want to try it. Considering gluing the wood upright (using aquarium safe glue), would this work? As for rocks I'm guessing it's best to buy these from the pet store...
Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #7 
aselvarial

I bought mine from a dollar store and they were fine. But then mine had no coating, and i've heard some ppl have had different experiences.
Btw, floating the cuttings, totally not my idea. I saw it on here.
aselvarial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 09:45 PM   #8 
KeshiaB

I'm thinking this might work to secure the wood to the bottom of my tank:http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3962

I'd like to add a few larger rocks, plant my Crypts at the base of the wood and use my moss as the 'tree' foliage, then somehow use the Lace Fern as a background filler. I know it goes against all design techniques but I think this setup would look great centred on a black background.

Thoughts?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:14 AM   #9 
KeshiaB

I'm thinking either these rocks or more driftwood...

Pisces Seiryu Stone

Pisces Malaysian Driftwood

Any opinions on what would look better?
Posted via Mobile Device