Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2014, 11:34 PM   #1 
bluenail

Factory Set Heaters?

Where do you all fall on the aquarium heaters that are preset to 78 degrees at the factory and do not have a way to adjust? Are they reliable? Other than not being able to raise the temp for cycling and treating diseases, is there a reason not to go for one?

I'm considering one for my 10 gallon tank.
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 PM   #2 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Some are ok but it's hit or miss, I had a really great 50watt one but the model has horrible online reviews about fried fish (never had that issue)
Also they work better in 70-75degree rooms, much colder and they only raise the temp so much, much hotter and fried fishy.
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 AM   #3 
bluenail

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I know there are two kinds of heaters that don't allow adjustments. One says on the package "preset to 78 degrees" and the other just says "raises water temperture 2-5 degrees" (or somesuch). I am specifically talking about the former.

Do even the preset ones have a reputation for cooking fish if it gets warm enough that no heater is actually needed?
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 AM   #4 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Yes, I was talking about the first. What happens is when the internal thermostat triggers the "on" the "on" stays on for a preset amount of time, then shuts off for a minimum time, so say it's 50 degrees, the "on" goes on for 5 min and has a minimum half hour shut off time, even if the tank only managed to warm up to 60 it won't heat he tank again intil the half hour is up. (At least my 50 watt aqueon won't)
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #5 
VivianKJean

Personally I do not like the preset ones. I bought one in an emergency situation once (heater broke in my tank in the middle of winter and my apartment doesn't have heat and the only one I could afford was preset until I got paid 5 days later) and it BARELY got my tank to 75 degrees. I ended up replacing it once I got paid later that week. I still keep it for emergencies but I doubt I will ever use it again.

At least for where I live - during the winter I have my heaters set at 86 degrees but the temperature in my tanks do not go above 82. During the summer my heater is set at 76 but my tanks are around 80-81. thats why I have an adjustable once since I have such a drastic change in temperature throughout the year.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #6 
mpooyan83

I've tried a couple of them , however they are for smaller tanks, wont work in 10 gallons. I have a 10watt Marina one, preset to 77. it keeps my 2.5 gallon at 76-77 constantly, never an issue.
I've tried the 15watt one from truaqua.com with the same results.
I've never really seen a 50watt one that would work with a 10 gallon. I've had good success with the truaqua.com products tho, they are priced well to.
mpooyan83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium advise, heater