Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #1 
TeeAndToby

Heater for a bowl?

Hey, I've been reading up and stalking threads here, and I know my betta would do the best in a filtered tank, but after looking at finances I just can't afford it right now so I'm stuck with my 2 gallon drum shaped bowl.

I'm fully prepared and equipped to do 20% water changes every other day with a 100% water change once a week, to counteract the lack of a filter, and after I condition my tap water, the levels are all good as far as I can tell.

That being said, I was wondering if there exists a decent quality heater that could work for Toby's bowl?

Thank you!
TeeAndToby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #2 
hrutan

You'll probably want an adjustable 25 watt heater, and one of those sinking in-water thermometers to make sure it's working as intended. Both of those together shouldn't cost more than $20.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #3 
TeeAndToby

Thanks for the info, I'd love to get him a tank but I just can't do it right now. I'll check out PetSmart tomorrow and see what I can find. I actually bought a thermometer today, though, so that's one less thing I'll have to look for tomorrow~
Old 07-26-2014, 11:33 PM   #4 
hrutan

Make sure you get an adjustable one with a thermostat. While it's not perfectly accurate (thus, the thermometer) the thermostat means you don't have to watch the water and unplug the heater every time it starts to get too warm! You find out how accurate the thermostat is by observing actual water temperature, and adjust accordingly.
hrutan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #5 
TeeAndToby

I got a heater today~ unfortunately, when I got home I realized I misread the packaging and it's not an adjustable one. I got the Grreat Choice 15 Watt Aquarium Heater. Opinions?

That being said, I also bought a 2.5 gallon tank. Although I'm moving to a new apartment a week today and I just moved him to the 2 gallon bowl yesterday, so I think I'll wait on getting him into the tank until we're both settled in the new apartment.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:13 PM   #6 
VivianKJean

15watt isn't going to be strong enough to heat a 2.5 gallon tank.

My suggestion is to return the 15 watt heater you bought and buy an adjustable 25watt heater.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #7 
mpooyan83

I run a 15 watt on my 3.5 gallon. its pre-adjusted to 77 and it keeps my tank 76-77 all the time. as long as my room temp is above 67ish (which it normally is). I havnt had any experience with the great choice one tho. I use the 10 watt Marina one form amazon, and a 15 watt one from truaqua.com. both worked well.

just looked at the 15watt great choice one. that one does not have a thermostat at all. I would recommend returning it and getting one with at least a static/preset temperature, or preferably one that is adjustable.

http://www.truaqua.com/aquarium-heater-nano-15w.html

http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Marina-...ywords=25+watt

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-25W-Subm...ywords=25+watt

Last edited by mpooyan83; 07-28-2014 at 12:23 PM.
mpooyan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #8 
TeeAndToby

My quest for a heater is complete! I returned the Great Choice one and bought that Marina 25W one~ Thank you for all of the input, everyone!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:19 PM   #9 
mpooyan83

is it the preset to 77 Marina one? or the adjustable one?
mpooyan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #10 
TeeAndToby

It's the adjustable one. I had to go to two different stores before I found it.