Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2010, 07:15 PM   #1 
shell85

something is up with neptune

it seems as though he's been freaking out lately. I did a water change and had to change his filter since it was incredibly dirty but he still seems to be acting strange. Instead of his usual coming to greet me when i walk up to the tank he would continuously dart to the corner of the tank and on occasion bump into the gravel. His tail was growing back but as of yesterday day it looks like he re-injured it either through biting or the filter intake I'm not sure. He still eats like normal although his color doesn't seem as vibrantly blue as it was a few weeks ago.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #2 
shell85

sorry i clicked this section by mistake mods please move it to diseases and emergencies
Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #3 
shell85

bump
Old 10-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #4 
zelilaa

So your question is...

Ok nvm that, I'm not stupid. I can realize what your asking w/o you actually saying the question. I'm pretty sure your asking what is wrong with your betta. To me it sounds like a common case of stress. What do you think might be stressing him? Try to figure that out 'hon. Anything from leaving on the tank light all night (no sleep) to sudden changes in surrounding could be the prob here.

with <3, Zel
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #5 
shell85

Crazy idk what could be stressing him I always turn the light off at night. Only thing I could think of is when I baffled his filter the rubber band snapped and the current of the filter water became heavy again but that has been fixed. I haven't re-arranged anything.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 AM   #6 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell85 View Post
Crazy idk what could be stressing him I always turn the light off at night. Only thing I could think of is when I baffled his filter the rubber band snapped and the current of the filter water became heavy again but that has been fixed. I haven't re-arranged anything.
Did you change the filter or just rinse it in dirty tank water?

If you changed it in a cycled tank You could have upset your cycle, and the ammonia might be causing him to freak out..
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 PM   #7 
shell85

I just changed the filter, i accidentally messed up the cycle some time ago so I just stayed on top of water changes.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #8 
Capricorn

Then your cycle is probably off. The filter is where the largest concentration of beneficial bacteria is.. replacing it is like dealing your cycle a killing blow.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #9 
zelilaa

agreed. the cycle mess up is probably whats stressing him. but i do not know any more, i have never (purposely) cycled. just only replace filters as rarely as possible because they do damage the cycle! rinse out the filter for several minutes under hot water instead from now on! ok... so can someone tell him/her how to fix it now?
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #10 
Capricorn

Well, actually, you'll want to just gently rinse the filter in the tank water that you remove to clean it, not hot water.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote