Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2010, 02:26 AM   #1 
shakiigrrl

Cool Not the most energetic kid on the block

Ok so quick question George is spending 95% of his time at the surface (hiding behind a leaf) with his nose popping out sometimes...the other 5% is when I show up and either put a finger in the water or on the side of the glass then he sprints away (little bugger). It is VERY rare he goes to the bottom (unless I am making him by moving the water).

Normal or not?
shakiigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:09 PM   #2 
Adastra

Not normal. Sounds like he has a swim bladder problem--usually this is caused by bloating of the abdomen from overfeeding. The bloated area puts pressure on the swim bladder and causes it to malfunction. It will go away when his bloating dissipates. You should copy/paste this form with your answers so we can give you more advice on how you can help him recover faster: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #3 
peaches3221

yeah, I wouldn't feed him for a few days. how much do you feed him?
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #4 
shakiigrrl

Might have found the solution..

Ok so he is a fussy...I just got him one of those 7.5W heaters (keeping an eye on it...don`t want to cook him either... and he is swimming around...not the friendly little guy though...as soon as I put a finger in the tank or on the wall he bolts... oh well as long as he is happy...

I don`t think he is eating too much...only feed him once a day 2 pellets (tiny little guy...gave him 3 pellets one day and he did not eat the third) and he is not bloated...either. I think it was the water temp...and I am also having so much trouble with the ammonia level in his tank...changed the water last night 100% and today it is still showing levels minimal but still it is not at zero! I added some Ammo Lock but doesnt seem to do anything....maybe I should add more? It is the API one and I think I could add a little more (shoudl be giving under 1ml for my gallon tank...but 1 ml might not be too strong...
Old 10-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #5 
Adastra

How big is the tank and what is your water changing schedule?

Keep in mind that in uncycled tanks, you must do frequent 100% water changes as a part of your routine. A one gallon tank should get a 100% change every other day, a two gallon tank should get one every 3-4 days. I don't recommend those cheap 7.5W heaters--they don't keep the temperature consistent since they don't have a real thermostat, and depending on the temperature of your house they can underheat or overheat the water. Personally, I would return the heater and buy a 25 watt heater with an adjustable temperature dial--for only a few dollars more you will have the security of a working thermostat that will keep the temperature stable and heat the water exactly to the degree that it is set. It's definitely worth the investment.

If your fish has been exposed to ammonia for awhile and you think that part of the problem might be ammonia poisoning, you should look into getting some methylene blue. It will help prevent secondary infections and recover from the poisoning more quickly.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #6 
JorgeBurrito

I have read that the relatively safe ammonium that is produced when you add a product like ammo lock still reads on the test kits as ammonia. I don't know if it is true or not, but may explain why you are still seeing ammonia reading in your tank. Have you tested your tap water yet to see if it has ammonia? Seems like quite a few people have levels of 0.5 or above straight out of the tap.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:08 AM   #7 
shakiigrrl

Hi,
Yes tested my water straight from the tap and I have about 0.25 to 0.50 (hard to tell the difference with the colors) ammonia. So I do add Ammo Lock to my water.

I can`t seem to find an adjustable heater SMALL enough to fit the tank.... Since this one I plan on putting under the rocks...but for the moment I am just keeping it on the side while I keep a close eye on the temp and consistency...

I have a 10 gallon with ghost shrimp, 2 platy`s and 3 guppies... and was thinking of adding him to the mix but read that he might and probably won`t get along with the guppies..which is too bad...
Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #8 
Adastra

You could always install a tank divider so that the livebearers have 2/3 of the 10G and the betta has 1/3 of it to live in. This way he can have the benefits of heating and filtered water without having to coexist with your guppies.