Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #271 
givemethatfish

For anyone's benefit who has the 5.5 gallon starter kit from Petsmart and the filter flow is too strong even baffled, I came up with this stellar idea - with even more stellar paint skillzz. I put a spongey type thing through the baffle so it droops into the water on either side and completely disperses the water flow.
Attached Images

givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #272 
elz2715

Hi there,
I'm really new to keeping fish, so please be patient.

I purchased a tank, for which i followed the (very vague and incomplete, so it turns out) guidelines for setting up, and 3 days later added a Betta. I know, I know, I should have cycled... BUT at the time I did not know this as I was told there was no point in trying to cycle a small tank (19L). Further research has obviously shown this to be untrue, but there is not much I can do about it now as I have no available cycled tank to house the poor little guy in in the meantime. Believe it or not I did do a lot of research about the fish, but silly me forgot to look up some on the tank... My bad, but we all make mistakes.

I have however ordered a testing kit since finding out this information, and intend on doing frequent 20% water changes.

Annnyway, the reason I am posting is because I have noticed that when my Betta goes by the intake of the filter his fins tend to get sucked up. He doesn't seem too bothered by this, and can wiggle free, but it gives me an uneasy feeling, so i would if possible like to 'baffle' it. The only problem is that i seem to have an odd filter.

I have attached a photo the tank I have (although it is not my tank in the photo), and if you see there are slits on the left hand side- well, they seem to be the intake, with the 'tap' like shape being the output on the other side (Betta does not seem too bothered by output with filter on lowest setting).

Could anyone offer any advice on whether i need, and would be able, to baffle the intake?

Thanks!

Also, I don't know if maybe anyone could offer any advice on what type of filter this is? It uses a combination of black and blue sponges and carbon and ceramic mesh bags. And is it safe for me to leave it on the lowest setting?

Thanks again for any help :)

Last edited by elz2715; 04-12-2014 at 10:28 AM.
elz2715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:25 PM   #273 
hubbley

I was just asking a question about why our filter is too strong for our betta, and someone pointed this out to me. I didn't know what this was so I didn't even think to click on it. I think we could definitely try this! Thanks!
hubbley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #274 
givemethatfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by elz2715 View Post
Hi there,
I'm really new to keeping fish, so please be patient.

I purchased a tank, for which i followed the (very vague and incomplete, so it turns out) guidelines for setting up, and 3 days later added a Betta. I know, I know, I should have cycled... BUT at the time I did not know this as I was told there was no point in trying to cycle a small tank (19L). Further research has obviously shown this to be untrue, but there is not much I can do about it now as I have no available cycled tank to house the poor little guy in in the meantime. Believe it or not I did do a lot of research about the fish, but silly me forgot to look up some on the tank... My bad, but we all make mistakes.

I have however ordered a testing kit since finding out this information, and intend on doing frequent 20% water changes.

Annnyway, the reason I am posting is because I have noticed that when my Betta goes by the intake of the filter his fins tend to get sucked up. He doesn't seem too bothered by this, and can wiggle free, but it gives me an uneasy feeling, so i would if possible like to 'baffle' it. The only problem is that i seem to have an odd filter.

I have attached a photo the tank I have (although it is not my tank in the photo), and if you see there are slits on the left hand side- well, they seem to be the intake, with the 'tap' like shape being the output on the other side (Betta does not seem too bothered by output with filter on lowest setting).

Could anyone offer any advice on whether i need, and would be able, to baffle the intake?

Thanks!

Also, I don't know if maybe anyone could offer any advice on what type of filter this is? It uses a combination of black and blue sponges and carbon and ceramic mesh bags. And is it safe for me to leave it on the lowest setting?

Thanks again for any help :)
To answer your questions - if your betta's fins are being sucked in, it would be a good idea to baffle the intake just so they don't get torn. I would cut a piece of craft mesh (sometimes called "plastic needlepoint canvas") to fit over the slots and just either thread a zip tie through from the filter side or tie it on with fishing line.

As for the filter, I'd call it a rear sump-type filter with a jet return. It's totally fine to leave it on the lowest setting.
givemethatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #275 
Flitfloat

Do I have to have a baffle? My betta seems to do ok with the flow from my filter.
Flitfloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #276 
ShelliA

I have a Marina i25 internal filter. I have not used it on my betta as yet, but I plan on starting. It came with my goldfish tank and since then that fish died- her tail got caught in the intake. My betta's is a VT so I want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Is there a way to baffle the intake?

Here is a picture of the filter. It is about 6in long and the intake is just under 2in.

Last edited by ShelliA; 08-02-2014 at 09:20 PM.
ShelliA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:48 PM   #277 
goldenskies

Hi, I just bought a 15cm sponge filter online for my betta and I just realized that the filter is larger in height than my tank? My tank is 13cm in height, So will I be able to fit the filter in my tank? If so, Then how. Thanks.
goldenskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:23 AM   #278 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Flitfloat, you only need to baffle your filter if your fish is being sucked in ot blown about or hiding from the flow. If he can handle it, some current is good for exercise.

ShelliA, you can rubber-band or zip-tie some filter foam over the intake of your filter. This also provides more area to house beneficial bacteria.

Goldenskies, first see if your airpump will pump water out of the riser tube. If not, or if not much, you'll have to cut down the riser tube so the flow exits below the surface by a couple of centimeters or so. Try wrapping a couple of layers of masking tape around the cut-line. Mark the cut. Get as fine a hobby saw as you can find and cut around and around and around until it eventually cuts through. Smooth out the cut edge and assemble the filter with the cut edge down.

Welcome to the forum, you guys.

Last edited by Hallyx; 05-26-2014 at 05:27 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #279 
Aeon

I have used a small pill bottle from my meds, cleaned out throughly, and cut a slit down the side and slid it over an old filter to help difuse the water but I no longer use that filter but it works and also helps quit them too
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #280 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good one/Thanks for the tip.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote