Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #1 
wystearya

How long to keep thawed food?

The other day I got my new Betta (Topaz) some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp to supplement his diet. I like how it comes in separate cubes, that makes it more convenient for thawing. I'm wondering though, is how long will a thawed cube last in the fridge? I certainly don't want to feed him anything that is spoiled!

Thanks!
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #2 
vaygirl

I use mine the first day when I thawed it and then the second day and I throw it out after that, whether it's gone or not.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #3 
Adastra

You should treat it like you would treat any raw meat--personally, I cut the cubes into quarters and only thaw a quarter of it at a time, that way I waste less. If I have any left over from the quarter after I'm done feeding my fish (six bettas and a 29G community tank), I just throw it out. If you only have a few bettas, you might want to cut the cube into sixths or eighths. You waste a lot less that way and you don't have to worry about whether or not the food is still good.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #4 
wystearya

Yeah, after I thawed the first cube I started to think I should have cut it up first. Oh well! At least I can cut the others and not waste so much, I only have the one Betta. ;)

Thank you!
Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I'd love to cut mine but my puffer is picky. He won't eat a cut worm. How does he know? I have no idea. But he'll spit it out every time. Lol!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #6 
wystearya

I assume your talking about a puffer fish? Because I don't think my betta could eat a bloodworm without me cutting it first, the bloodworms so big and his mouth is very small. ;)