Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-29-2010, 12:03 PM   #1 
Terribabylove

Im worried about my Betta Fish

SORRY LONG BUT NEED HELP

We brought our Betta about 6 weeks ago, he was in a 2 and half foot long, 1 and half foot wide and about 2 foot tall tank with a variety of other fish (1 albino ruby shark,3 sword tails, 4 mollys and 7 clown loach) and he was lively, swimming around all the time with lots of dark hiding places for him to explore too, we also have a smaller fish tank thats about a foot and a half wide, a foot long and a foot and a half tall tank that had gold fish in. Resonantly we brought a new tank, bigger than the one the betta was in, a corner one to be exact with 3 parrot fish all 3 years old. Well we decided to take the gold fish back to the shop and not have them anymore, we moved the betta, 4 mollys and 3 sword tails to the small tank that the gold fish were in (we moved and took them back the shop before hand) and put the rest in the big tank with the 3 parrot fish.

Since the betta has been in the smaller tank he has been staying in one spot, motionless and only moves if you poke him with something and then he hides for about 5 mins and goes back to the same spot and doesnt move.
Is this normal?? I dont know whats wrong?? Im worried about him?? help please??
Terribabylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #2 
bloo97

Did you clean out the the Gold Fish tank before you put the betta in? What is the water temp? How long ago did you change out tanks? And last, can you post a pic?
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 04:30 AM   #3 
Terribabylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloo97 View Post
Did you clean out the the Gold Fish tank before you put the betta in? What is the water temp? How long ago did you change out tanks? And last, can you post a pic?
Yes we cleaned out the tank and even changed the water and put the safety stuff in to get rid of chlorine, the temp is 80F or 26C and we changed tanks about a week ago. Yes ill post a pic give me half hour to download on comp and how do I post pics on the forum??
Old 09-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #4 
Terribabylove

I think I know whats wrong, iv just spotted white spots on all the fish in the small tank, its called white spot syndrome, ill have to treat them, hope they are ok xx
Old 09-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #5 
binumee

Hi,
always keep betta fish in a single tank decorate with stones and a plant where he feels happy at home - yes white spot its effected with disease it might happened by putting it with other fish also.
Whenever we buy betta fish from the shop and bringing him home he needs to adjust with the new home and its surroundings so he will get used to it - and also buy another betta fish and keep it next to him where he love to see his another friend always and play with him and he will be active.
binumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #6 
Terribabylove

Quote:
Originally Posted by binumee View Post
Hi,
always keep betta fish in a single tank decorate with stones and a plant where he feels happy at home - yes white spot its effected with disease it might happened by putting it with other fish also.
Whenever we buy betta fish from the shop and bringing him home he needs to adjust with the new home and its surroundings so he will get used to it - and also buy another betta fish and keep it next to him where he love to see his another friend always and play with him and he will be active.
I understand where your coming from but he hasnt been put with any new fish, hes with fish hes bin with since we got him. We just moved tanks. I know better fish can live on there own but iv always figured he would be lonely. Iv got to treat the white spot syndrome first anyway, hoping they get better and when they are better would he live in gold fish bowl?? if I brought 2 and got another betta and put the bowls together, would that work??
Old 10-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #7 
dyhoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribabylove View Post
I understand where your coming from but he hasnt been put with any new fish, hes with fish hes bin with since we got him. We just moved tanks. I know better fish can live on there own but iv always figured he would be lonely. Iv got to treat the white spot syndrome first anyway, hoping they get better and when they are better would he live in gold fish bowl?? if I brought 2 and got another betta and put the bowls together, would that work??
I kept my betta in a Bowl for a few days when i got him, and he seemed REALLY inactive. I thought a medium-small bowl would be enough for him, but apparently he was bored. I took the advice of several here, and got him a 2 gallon tank. Just minutes after i moved him over, he was ten times more active, exploring the tank and swimming in an out of the plants/rock. I'd really recommend against a bowl myself.
dyhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #8 
Capricorn

This is sort of belated.. bettas do fine in community tanks as long as the fish they're in with are not "nippy" species that will beat on him/her. If it's indeed ich, (should look like grains of salt on the fish) there are a couple treatments you can get off the shelf for your tank that work well. Good luck!
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote