Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #1 
thrillhouse85

What's wrong with my betta fish?

I bought him yesterday and he was in fine shape... Quite active, floating about and exploring the little round plastic container he came in. The people I bought him from sold me a little kit that came with a rectangular plastic housing and some gravel for the bottom.

When I got home, I rinsed the gravel for a good 10 minutes under extra hot water from the tap, then filled the bowl with water, letting it sit for about 4 hours to off-gas and come up to room temperature. My flat is pretty warm, probably 24C if I had to guess.

Anyway, the betta now just floats in the corner, either at the top or the bottom of the tank. I tried giving him some food, but he just ignored it. He'll stir around a bit if disturbed, but otherwise just keeps himself pressed up/down in the corners. Any ideas what's wrong?

I went out and bought some bottled water in case it was that, and refiled the tank for the most part with the new water. Still, he's not doing too much.
thrillhouse85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Did you use any dechlorinator? for chlorine/chloramines/heavy metals if on city water supply.....

If he was active before you put him in the new set-up and now he is not-I would check the water temp and make sure it is at least 76F and make a water change using a dechlorinator to rule out the water as a cause, hopefully it is just an adjustment period.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 PM   #3 
thrillhouse85

Well, I changed the water (replaced it with bottled water) and put him near the radiator so the temperature got up to a pleasant 30C... He's still not doing too well though. Any other ideas? Could it be his habitat? This may sound ridiculous, but could the fish be bored/scared?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #4 
The Fighter

Do you have a heater and a thermometer u will need them
also 24 to 27 degrees is a good temp
The Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:50 AM   #5 
thrillhouse85

No thermometer. The fish keeps going up to the surface as if to take a breath, and leaves a little bubble. Any ideas why he's doing this?
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Did you use dechlorinator?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 AM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillhouse85 View Post
No thermometer. The fish keeps going up to the surface as if to take a breath, and leaves a little bubble. Any ideas why he's doing this?

Betta's Have a Labyrinth organ, Which means they have to come up to the surface to breath..

The bubble is just part of him going upto the surface and drawing in oxygen..

as OFL Asked Did you use water conditioner?
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote