Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 AM   #21 
tankman12

A 55-75 that has gravel, plants, rocks and is actually cold water for the goldfish. Isnt a proper goldfish tank?
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #22 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

For comets and commons yes, but not for the Bettas is what she's saying. We're just wondering why you'd say the Bettas would be fine when clearly it's not their type of environment let alone, not proper tankmates no mater the size of the pond.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #23 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Cold water is not proper for betta though...
And it really depends on what kind of goldfish are in the tank when you are talking about temperature...
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #24 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

+1 Fancy goldfish need around 76-78 for their temps ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 03:56 PM   #25 
CrazedHoosier

Fancy Goldfish like a temperature similar to tropical fish? Wow, I didn't know that! And tankman12, Fancy Goldfish are the ones that get 4-6 inches (sometimes 8), but Common Goldfish and Commet Goldfish easily get larger than 8 inches. Compare that to the almost 1 inch diameter of a Betta, it would basically be like putting your favorite cheeseburger in your mouth (everything is a cheeseburger to a Goldfish)
CrazedHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 04:54 PM   #26 
LittleBettaFish

Well I have a shubunkin, and when I introduced two smaller shubunkin into its tank, it tried to eat both of them and only gave up when they wouldn't fit in its mouth.

Goldfish are pretty voracious eaters and if it fits in their mouth it is fair game. Even if they could not eat an adult, they could probably easily eat younger fish.

I have seen people keeping pairs of bettas in larger tub ponds (think around the 40-100 gallon mark) over the spring/summer and then bringing the fish back inside over winter. You are most likely not going to get huge numbers of fry by leaving both parents in, as I would think there is a very good chance either one or both parents would cannibalise them. I don't get any cannibalism by parents in my wild betta tanks, and even then, I only get a dozen or so fry growing out per tank.

This is because it's the predation from older siblings you also have to watch out for. I have had juveniles wipe out entire new spawns in a matter of minutes as newly free-swimming fry are extremely vulnerable.

So I think it's probably a slim possibility you'll end up with hundreds and hundreds of fry at the end of it.

However, I personally wouldn't put the bettas in with goldfish. I would think set-up a separate, smaller pond, and you are probably going to be much more successful.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #27 
Pandanke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedHoosier View Post
Fancy Goldfish like a temperature similar to tropical fish? Wow, I didn't know that! And tankman12, Fancy Goldfish are the ones that get 4-6 inches (sometimes 8), but Common Goldfish and Commet Goldfish easily get larger than 8 inches. Compare that to the almost 1 inch diameter of a Betta, it would basically be like putting your favorite cheeseburger in your mouth (everything is a cheeseburger to a Goldfish)
This is my favorite, and one of the most true statements about goldfish ever.
Pandanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:15 PM   #28 
Bettacrab

The pond is around 80F because it is summer, that is great for bettas. I purchased 3 (1 gallon) betta tanks, then I bought 3 bettas (2 female 1 male) I put them in the pond, they have been in for 8 days without problem. They are the bosses of the pond.
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #29 
tankman12

Cool. Do you have a heater for the 3 tanks
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #30 
Bettacrab

No. I still need a heater. Or I can put them in my empty divided 10 gallon
Bettacrab is offline   Reply With Quote