Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2014, 10:50 PM   #1 
myexplodingcat

10 gallon tank, mellow betta, platies?

How many platies would it be safe to put in with a betta in a 10g tank?
Would it be better to do all males, or would they be too aggressive? Do you need to do trios?

My PetSmart is renovating their fish section, and I found a 10g tank for 15 bucks--it must have been sitting in an odd corner of their stock room or something, they don't even carry this tank on their site any more--and I'm going to cycle it, stick in a Hydor heater, and deck it out with a nice piece of driftwood and tons of plants. :D

The betta I'm putting in is a rescued red VT boy named Simon. Came to me stressed--I seriously didn't know what color he was going to end up, because he started out almost totally gray. Very meek--he's very picky about what he flares at, and if he does flare, he does it very slowly and backs away while he's doing it. I've always thought he'd be perfect for a community tank. He's in a little tank right now, but over the weeks I've had him, he's become more active. It's time for an upgrade.

So when I found this 10g, I started wondering about stocking. I thought about dwarf cories, but they're supposed to be awfully sensitive and, cute as they are, they aren't that colorful. I don't want anything that's likely to disturb Simon too much. So I'm going to go with variatus platies. They're colorful but don't have long fins, friendly, and there's no minimum number you have to have. And they don't nip fins.

The question is, how many can I fit in this tank? The only other things would be Simon and probably a nerite snail or two, which are not a terribly heavy load. I know platies are kind of messy, though. Also--males, females, trios? Thoughts?

I would be most likely buying these platies from a LFS that has some lovely, healthy tanks.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 PM   #2 
myexplodingcat

Also, is the care of variatus platies different from normal platies? I know they're different species...
Old 08-02-2014, 12:24 AM   #3 
CrazedHoosier

I think you could probably get around 3-5 female Platies. Sometimes the males will pick on each other, and are a bit more aggressive. Also, Variatus like a more cool environment, around 65-74. You might be able to get away with 76 degrees, but your Betta might not like it that low.
CrazedHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 12:49 AM   #4 
myexplodingcat

Gotcha, thanks.

I do have a few questions... Don't females grow bigger? If so, does that mean they produce more waste? And I've read there's also a pretty high chance of them coming pregnant...

If that's the case, I'd kind of rather sign up for four guys being kind of aggressive towards each other than three females that will grow even larger and fill the tank with fry.

Are they going to need a higher-powered filter? What would you recommend in that case?
Old 08-02-2014, 02:33 AM   #5 
CrazedHoosier

There isn't a difference in size to the point to where you should worry about bio-load differences. Also, I've never bought a pregnant live-bearer out of all the female Guppies and Mollies I've bought. You definitely don't need a higher powered filter, just because you'd be getting females over males.
CrazedHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:20 PM   #6 
myexplodingcat

Thanks!