Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 11:08 PM   #11 
MrVampire181

At the worst case scenario he's just a little freaked put. I gasped because I thought he went down the drain!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #12 
Posaune

Accidents happen :) Sounds like he's gonna be fine. I personally put my bettas back into the cups I got them in for water changes. I've got it so they'll swim into the cup and get a treat :P then when I'm done I carefully put them back into the tank (used tank water in the cups for them).

I made a huge mistake when I first had fish. I introduced a pleco, and it seems some stress was caused or whatever, because every fish OTHER than the stupid pleco got ich and died (I didn't diagnose it quick enough). Now I'm vigilante about watching for ich (and really, any other signs of sickness)
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:31 AM   #13 
MrVampire181

For my water changes on jars I have a 3 gallon bucket. The betta and water are dumped into a net above the bucket, the jar is refilled with treated tap water at room temperature from a jug and the betta is placed back in the jar. For tanks with gravel I take a little water out, net them and put them in the cup. Clean the tank, refill, wait an hour, and then release the fish.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:53 AM   #14 
ashleyy

Within the first hour I got Nadador he almost went down the sink. I was trying to move him from his dirty cup water to the new tank without getting the dirty water in the new water and without using a net (I never had fish before so I don't know what I was thinking..) Welp, out of the cup he went and straight for the drain. I panicked and grabbed him and flung him in the tank... ripping a piece of his fin off in the process. UGH! I felt horrible. Poor baby had an extremely traumatic hour. :[
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:46 AM   #15 
meeka

Oh thats terrible. Lucky your dad was home and able to pull the pipes apart under the sink.
Hopefully he will be ok. The fact that he is eating is a good sign.
We all learn from our mistakes, at least yours wasn't fatal.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #16 
peaches3221

thanks everyone! it's a miracle, he survived without even a scratch! and now he is blowing a bubble nest!!! he's one tough little betta!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm so sorry that happened! Just keep his water very clean and keep an eye on him for now. It sounds like he's going to be ok if he's swimming around and acting normal. And no, you're not a bad fish owner!! This kind of stuff has happened to a lot of us. I've never had one go down the drain but I knocked one onto the floor one time and, like you, just about freaked out! lol I didn't know what else to do so I kept him in clean water and kept an eye on him and he was fine. :)
thank you dramaqueen! I felt really bad for not being more careful, but knowing he's OK makes me feel better. and I'm glad your fishy was OK, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyy View Post
Within the first hour I got Nadador he almost went down the sink. I was trying to move him from his dirty cup water to the new tank without getting the dirty water in the new water and without using a net (I never had fish before so I don't know what I was thinking..) Welp, out of the cup he went and straight for the drain. I panicked and grabbed him and flung him in the tank... ripping a piece of his fin off in the process. UGH! I felt horrible. Poor baby had an extremely traumatic hour. :[
awww, poor nadador, but it would have been even more traumatic if he had gone down the drain like my fishy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeka View Post
Oh thats terrible. Lucky your dad was home and able to pull the pipes apart under the sink. Hopefully he will be ok. The fact that he is eating is a good sign.
We all learn from our mistakes, at least yours wasn't fatal.
yeah, i'm glad he was there, too! and had a large wrench handy!!! lol! and I DEFINITELY learned from this mistake, in fact, i learned two things: 1. cover up the drain!!!! 2. never do water changes at 10 PM when I am rushing and tired and not thinking about what I am doing!!!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote