Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #151 
prettyiinpiink

thnx for the post* =] i needed this*
Old 10-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #152 
BeFree

Thanks a ton for the information. Very helpful! I was also under the impression that Betta's sat in a tiny bowl and ate a few times a week, and that water changing is only necessary every once in a while. This lack of knowledge is thanks to the 'experts' at pet stores.

Last edited by BeFree; 10-05-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #153 
bto

The recommendation that "under 2.5 gallons should have a 50% change every other day" is simply not true. It's excessive and can stress the fish! As a long-time Betta owner (30 years), my little guys and gals live on average 3-4 years (longest was 5), they're always very happy and active, they live in 2 liter bowls, and I change their water once a week. They DON"T NEED filters and do very well in your typical fishbowl.

I occasionally see/hear these type of recommendations and I cannot understand why they continue to be perpetuated. Bettas are not like other fish and should not be cared for like other fish. More is not always better and in the case of Bettas more can be harmful.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:24 PM   #154 
BettaBoy84

Talking

Wow. have not read this yet...very interesting!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:24 PM   #155 
bloo97

Quote:
Originally Posted by bto View Post
The recommendation that "under 2.5 gallons should have a 50% change every other day" is simply not true. It's excessive and can stress the fish! As a long-time Betta owner (30 years), my little guys and gals live on average 3-4 years (longest was 5), they're always very happy and active, they live in 2 liter bowls, and I change their water once a week. They DON"T NEED filters and do very well in your typical fishbowl.

I occasionally see/hear these type of recommendations and I cannot understand why they continue to be perpetuated. Bettas are not like other fish and should not be cared for like other fish. More is not always better and in the case of Bettas more can be harmful.
I guess it's all in expirience.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:31 PM   #156 
wallywestisthebest333

Talking

Quote:

How are your tanks set up? Any live plants?
Old 10-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #157 
Alex09

Quote:

Those are the typical pet store instructions and most people who do that have their fish die in a few months. I know I did. Lost 3 or 4 fish that way a few years back And alot can change in 30 years.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #158 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:

Idk when they'll respond so I thought I'd post my two cents. (since I'm getting off to concentrate on work)

The only way a set up like this would work is if there was a lot of fast-growing floating plants in there and maybe a shoot or two of a fast growing stem plant. :/

And the set-up got direct sunlight a few hours every day.

Even then the ammonia would build up more quickly at the beginning before ebbing off.

If you have an un-planted bowl or enclosure you still need to do every other day 50-100% changes.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #159 
Canuck Fins

I haven't got my tank yet although I'm leaning toward a 5g. I'm still figuring all this out. I have 2 questions though.

* Once a tank is cycled and I have a fish, how often do I need to test my betta's water?

* I would like to try a planted tank, but I don't know how many plants I will need. Is there a guideline on this?
Old 10-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #160 
bto

I'll repeat. I've cared for bettas for over 30 years. My current betta is 4 years old. I haven't changed my method of care over the years. It's a simple bowl, aquarium gravel, no live plants, a small shell, and weekly water change - that's it. He gets a lot of attention, is always excited when we talk with him, i.e., he thinks he's getting food. All my fish over the years have been happy, healthy, and live long.

Sorry, but what you deem as impossible or ill-advised just isn't true. More power to those of you who go to the nth degree for your bettas. Pet shops love you! It's just not necessary to keep a betta in a 5 + gallon tank with filtration, exotic plants, and 50% water changes every other day.
Closed Thread